Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New bike to me. 72 CL350. Had it running today on a very cold day, took a small loop around the block and was putting it back into garage. I was moving bike back into parking spot in first gear, shifted to neutral (or so i thought), let out clutch and bike stalled. Not a big deal right? Well turns out, bike now will not start (electric start). Trans shifts from first to neutral with no problem, electronics work, and when i hit start button, all i hear is clicking near the battery.

Any idea on what this could be?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Battery sounds bad. Put a meter on the battery. 12V? hit start button and see if it drops.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim. Could easily be that now that you bring that up. I noticed the other day a dim in headlight when starting, etc. I'll test battery. Thanks.

Battery sounds bad. Put a meter on the battery. 12V? hit start button and see if it drops.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
The Clicking is the Starter Solenoid.

But it sounds like your charging system is either not up to par, or you didn't run it long enough (fast enough) to recover from your 1st start.
Starter Motors require a LOT of CURRENT (Amps) and will draw down a bike battery very fast.
These motors REQUIRE a FULL Charge to Start.

They are a Battery Excited ignition System.

Which means there is not sufficient current created by simply rotating the motor, if the battery is low or dead the Coils will NOT Charge up enough to Fire the Spark Plugs.

Charging Current does not occur until approx. 3000+ RPM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts