Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm wondering if anyone has upgraded the rectifier on their CB125 and/or whether they know if the "Radio Shack" upgrade would work on this 6V system.

This is the rectifier I've seen applied on other models:

https://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-2...92105&sr=1-2&keywords=25a+full+wave+rectifier

- Would this simply be a matter of removing the old rectifier and splicing this one in its place?
- Any suggestions on where to splice in the existing wires?
- Any considerations regarding the amperage/voltage ratings on these rectifiers? I've seen others on Amazon that have higher ratings and wonder if those would work.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
It will work fine. I would connect them at the original rectifier plug. Pink and yellow wires to the corner terminals marked "a/c", the + terminal to the red/white wire and the - terminal to the green wire.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need a little help figuring out which wire goes with which terminal. There is a + sign next to one terminal, but nothing else written anywhere on the unit. Any suggestions on where the pink, yellow, red, and green wires need to go?

81D8PrlVf4L._SL1500_[1].jpg

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
The terminal on the opposite corner is the minus battery ground connection. The two remaining terminals are the a/c connections, there may be a marking similar to an "s" by them. Pink and yellow go on the a/c terminals, red to the + and green to the -.

·
Registered
233 Posts
As Mike says, the terminal diagonally opposite from the marked + terminal is the negative (-) and the other two are the AC input. A drawing is available at https://www.alliedelec.com/hvca-kbpc2504/70015999/ which shows the typical configuration for this type of rectifier.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I hooked it all up and it seems to be fine. Now that the conversion is done, one question is whether people think it'd be a good idea to connect a ground wire from the battery directly to the frame. The original 6V wiring diagram doesn't have that direct connection, but I know my old 12V CL350 and CL450s had them. Wondering if it's a 12V thing. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Can't ever hurt to add a ground from the battery to the frame. Some older small Honda harnesses had an additional lug on a green wire tied to a 6mm bolt in the frame elsewhere from the battery, but adding one can only improve ground connectivity - just also be sure that anything grounded directly to the frame elsewhere has a clean connection too, as you should normally anyway

1 - 8 of 8 Posts