Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm wondering if anyone has upgraded the rectifier on their CB125 and/or whether they know if the "Radio Shack" upgrade would work on this 6V system.

This is the rectifier I've seen applied on other models:

https://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-2...92105&sr=1-2&keywords=25a+full+wave+rectifier

- Would this simply be a matter of removing the old rectifier and splicing this one in its place?
- Any suggestions on where to splice in the existing wires?
- Any considerations regarding the amperage/voltage ratings on these rectifiers? I've seen others on Amazon that have higher ratings and wonder if those would work.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
It will work fine. I would connect them at the original rectifier plug. Pink and yellow wires to the corner terminals marked "a/c", the + terminal to the red/white wire and the - terminal to the green wire.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need a little help figuring out which wire goes with which terminal. There is a + sign next to one terminal, but nothing else written anywhere on the unit. Any suggestions on where the pink, yellow, red, and green wires need to go?

Passive circuit component Technology Circuit component Electronic device Electronics

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
The terminal on the opposite corner is the minus battery ground connection. The two remaining terminals are the a/c connections, there may be a marking similar to an "s" by them. Pink and yellow go on the a/c terminals, red to the + and green to the -.

·
Registered
233 Posts
As Mike says, the terminal diagonally opposite from the marked + terminal is the negative (-) and the other two are the AC input. A drawing is available at https://www.alliedelec.com/hvca-kbpc2504/70015999/ which shows the typical configuration for this type of rectifier.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I hooked it all up and it seems to be fine. Now that the conversion is done, one question is whether people think it'd be a good idea to connect a ground wire from the battery directly to the frame. The original 6V wiring diagram doesn't have that direct connection, but I know my old 12V CL350 and CL450s had them. Wondering if it's a 12V thing. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Can't ever hurt to add a ground from the battery to the frame. Some older small Honda harnesses had an additional lug on a green wire tied to a 6mm bolt in the frame elsewhere from the battery, but adding one can only improve ground connectivity - just also be sure that anything grounded directly to the frame elsewhere has a clean connection too, as you should normally anyway

1 - 8 of 8 Posts