Honda Twins banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Upgraded the CDI with a Dynatek coil. Unfortunately, those nice Magnecore spark plug wires I made previously wouldn't fit this coil, so I made another set. Luckily, I still had left over wire from a used V8 kit I've repurposed for several projects now. The Magnecor uses a super fine stainless wire tightly wrapped around a ferro-magnetic core. Supposed to fully supress RFI and EMI (important for digital CDI), and last forever. Have to be careful trimming these cables to not unwind the fine wire wrap, as seen below on a practice run. I learned to clip the wayward end and dab a little superglue on the tip to keep it from unraveling before folding it over and crimping the terminals.

IMG_8155.jpeg

IMG_8159.jpeg

Here's the new coil, for which I had to fabricate an aluminum mounting plate:
IMG_8157.jpeg

IMG_8156.jpeg

Hid the CDI box under the seat. Made a fresh wire harness using Ancor marine grade wire I had left over from my race car. project. It was satisfying to fire up the bike without a battery. Really anxious to try this on the track... Sooo many changes from last season. It would suck if the bike got slower. I'll find out in a couple months.

Now that the bike has a more modern head and ignition system on it, posing with a later model truck seems more appropriate. If this FJ40 was better on the highway, I'd use it to tow the bike to the track.
IMG_8168.jpeg

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I don't think I caught how you're running without a battery? Good, well thought out mods, any idea on weight difference this time or not much change?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Don't need a battery with a CDI, unless you need a clean source of 12V for accessories. Can still avoid a battery for that by adding a lighting coil to the stator and a voltage regulator/rectifier to the wiring.

As for weight, my old exhaust system (forgot to mention this earlier) is 7.4 lbs, and the new one is 5.2 lbs. Also forgot to mention that all 5 of the engine mounting bolts are now titanium, but didn't bother weighing the difference. On the other hand, the new CDI system is probably an extra pound or more of weight over the old Pertronix+Li-ion battery pack. So not much change overall. I can save additional weight by deleting the front shock boots and tank's rubber side pads, but I like those bits so they'll stay. I love the idea of a Yetman style frame. I'd think about making one if I were a better a welder.

yetman.JPG

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
That company was only 19 miles from here, the amount of companies that have come and gone always amazes me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
That’s a lot of cool stuff coming out of that tiny shop! Thanks for posting
Thanks. I recently discovered Allen Millyard's Youtube channel and the insane bikes he's created over the years. I'm sure he's been discussed before elsewhere on this site, though it's all new to me. The stuff he makes looks factory-finished, but he does all his work out of a one-car garage and a backyard shed. Really inspiring. He used to do all the cutting by hand with hacksaws and files, until he got a manual lathe and mill.

Here is what I think is his most impressive creation; his Honda RC174 6 cylinder racebike replica, using a couple cut up 4 cylinder Yamaha blocks to make a 374cc replica. Amazing.

·
Premium Member
2,979 Posts
Thanks. I recently discovered Allen Millyard's Youtube channel and the insane bikes he's created over the years. I'm sure he's been discussed before elsewhere on this site, though it's all new to me. The stuff he makes looks factory-finished, but he does all his work out of a one-car garage and a backyard shed. Really inspiring. He used to do all the cutting by hand with hacksaws and files, until he got a manual lathe and mill.

Here is what I think is his most impressive creation; his Honda RC174 6 cylinder racebike replica, using a couple cut up 4 cylinder Yamaha blocks to make a 374cc replica. Amazing.

I've seen and heard that bike running. They had to stop him going up the hill at Prescott because of complaints about the noise, and that was on a day when plenty of other race bikes were in action.

Reactions: Nader
61 - 68 of 68 Posts