Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not strictly a Honda Twin issue, and not even a tank issue really - but ...

I have one of these that I want to bring back to bare metal, with a view to clear-coating it, or lacquering it to preserve the bare metal finish:

It's the airbox cover off my VRod - which sits atop the airbox, and to all intensive purpose looks like the fuel tank. Looks to me like it's made of similar type and gauge material to a conventional metal fuel tank. The key issue for me would be finding a way to do it as easily as possible, but also in such a way that I don't damage the surface, and leave it looking like a (slightly patinated) alloy tank, more like this:

I thought I would ask on here as you guys know infinitely more about practical working methods than most of the bolt-on-accessory merchants who seem to frequent most HD forums.

Any and all inputs gratefully received :)

Thanks,
Alan

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Have it dipped at a radiator shop. If you want a DIY method, buy some strong aircraft paint stripper.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have it dipped at a radiator shop.
I like the sound of that :)

For info - and forgive me if it sounds like a stupid question - do you mean a car/truck radiator repair operation, or somewhere that dips the domestic 'radiators' as we call them here:

I know there is a thriving market for refurbed ones of these round this part of the world.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Eastwoods powder coat stripper would do it but by the time you order it and coat it then let it sit for a couple days it wouldnt be to fast.

Bill

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I'm a fan of the spray-can chemical stripper approach (some work better than others though).
Anything you do will oxidize the surface and require some sort of polishing after.
Even a dip tank will leave swirlies and weirdness on the surface.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Aircraft Remover?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
^^^"aircraft stripper" +1 ^^^^
Wear eye and hand protection.. the stuff burns..
it's easy to use.. and once brushed on, cover the surface with plastic to keep the stripper "wet" and working..

·
Registered
193 Posts
I worked for HD, those V-Rod tank covers with color are made of plastic. In order to get that look you will have to use a special paint.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I worked for HD, those V-Rod tank covers with color are made of plastic. In order to get that look you will have to use a special paint.
I have 3 different covers Franky - none of them are plastic.
I'm struggling to recall any of the models coming with plastic aribox covers - anodised alloy perhaps in the early days, but never heard of anything other than steel or aluminium ones :confused:

·
Registered
193 Posts
They must have switched to plastic in the later years or my memory is shot, you make the call.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you could well be right on the former Franky. Couldn't find a spec online, but the later restyled 'Muscle' model has a different shape cover. A close look at the pics doesn't confirm it for sure, but I wouldn't be at all surprised from looking at the underside of the cover if it were some kind of hard plastic.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Harley-Davi...566748?hash=item212a6adb1c:g:V4gAAOSwfJJZaPj8

Mine are just plain old fashioned steel tho :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts