Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to put the top end of my bike ('76 cb360) back together. When I took the old rings off the pistons I broke almost all of them. I really don't want to break the new rings when I put them on. What's the best way (or only way?) to put the new rings on without breaking them?

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
It can be done but if you're not experienced at it you may well break a ring or scratch a piston.

I suggest getting a ring expander, available from auto parts stores or tool suppliers. Makes the job easy and quick and I don't think they're too expensive. Maybe you know someone who would loan you one?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
You should just be able to slide them over the piston without much effort. You could cut up a 2 liter bottle to slide over the piston then put the rings on that, get them close to the proper groove, then slide the plastic bottle section up to reveal the ring groove you're shooting for..

When installing the top end.
A cut up shampoo bottle or similar works well to compress those rings, for some people. A hose clamp over the plastic bottle section may help compress them fully.

Or just go to the parts store and buy a piston ring compressor.. Not awfully expensive....

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, hopefully I'll start putting this thing back together tomorrow. Its been a while since I tore it down, now I'm starting to get excited about it again. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ben

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Come to think of it, I'd try to just slip the rings over the piston rather than the bigger diameter created by the plastic from a bottle... I doubt it'd hurt, but I'd hate to see you break a ring because of something I suggested..

Use your own good judgement here...... ;)

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I broke one of my old rings too when taking the engine down, putting new ones in is much easier. New ones seem to be more forgiving and less brittle than the used ones. Good luck, take your time, and don't force anything more than you think you should. It shouldn't be too bad.

·
Registered
608 Posts
and make sure you put them on the right side up and in the proper groove (upper two)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. I used the plastic bottle trick and it worked great. I remembered to put the rings on correctly and 120 degrees off of each other and all that good stuff. I got it all put back together and fired it up. It still wasn't running on the right cylinder full time and after a few minutes I ran into the same problem as before; liquid oil in the right side muffler. When I had it apart I did the acetone check to make sure the valves sealed (they did), but that was all the attention the valves got besides cleaning. So I'll have to take the cylinder head off again and take the valves out. I remember someone mentioning the valve seals (?) from a previous post and I have new ones that came with my gasket kit so they will definitely be changed out. What else should I be looking for?

Thanks
Ben

1 - 9 of 9 Posts