Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ordered this item off Amazon and it works like a charm. I can now easily and without spilling remove a full gas tank on my '72 CB175. It only cost $11!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BHI5NYQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fuel Gas Line Quick Connect Disconnect
1/4" Motorcycle Atv Dual Shut Off Black

ScreenHunter_06 Sep. 17 10.08.jpg

Unfortunately it looks like its now out of stock, but this appears to be the same thing in white for $34:

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-Quick-Disconnect-Shut-Off-Coupling/dp/B002OMPFQQ/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_11?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Q5RPNAX9F7XQKDMAJ6MK

When I first connected it the two halves didn't want to get "in-line" due to the stiff gas line and even though it clicked shut it leaked. I re-did the connection keeping the two halves in-line and now it's leak free.

1/4" gas line fits the connectors and the tank tube weldments perfectly:

ScreenHunter_01 Sep. 17 10.02.jpg

ScreenHunter_02 Sep. 17 10.02.jpg

ScreenHunter_03 Sep. 17 10.03.jpg

ScreenHunter_04 Sep. 17 10.03.jpg

And since everyone loves pictures here's the bike. She's running great! -Russ :grin:

ScreenHunter_05 Sep. 17 10.03.jpg

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Good find Russ. There have been threads on these before, some had only short term success before going back to the old way. Some spent more for the teflon and stainless steel quick disconnects and had better long term success. But I think you may be one of the first to correlate the hose angle with potential for fuel leakage.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have done similar solution, but my cross tube is longer. Connection point is placed below carbs and tube forms circle. This makes opening easier.

Please, take care about securing tubes on tank and quick connection terminals. Spilled fuel can dissolve engine oil.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Andrew. Although the brand new gas line was a very snug fit over the connection terminals I agree they should be secured. I'll get some hose clamps on there soon! :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi there the yellow gas line was installed by the previous owner. I'm not sure what the ID is, could be 3/16" or 1/4". When I get a chance I'll pull one off and measure.
The PO was an aircraft mechanic I seem to remember him saying something about using fuel line from his shop. Hope this helps.

BTW the cross tube and disconnect continue to be trouble free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts