Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a head handy with the valve cover off a 71 or similar? What is the depth of the threaded hole and what is the length of the bolt? If the bolts are different length, it is the rear lower left behind the carb. Does any one know the mm size, and thread count also?

Just wondering if there are a few good threads under the stripped area I can use for the time being until I can pull the carbs off and put an insert in there.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I had two on the exhaust side that I had stripped. I just bought some 35 mm length bolts and they worked. Just long enough to grab the remaining good threads. I did put a lockwasher on them so that helped a bit, otherwise, they would have been slightly too long.

The fiche says the intake side is 28 mmm and the exhaust side is 32 mm. So if you use some 30-32 mm on the intake side, you should be OK. Try taking one out of the exhaust side and see if it is longer than the intake side. If it is, try using that and then get a new one for the exhaust side. If it is too long, try using a washer.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good ideadmand as usual some one already had this idea! thanks

I will pull the old one and measure it if no one has it handy.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The front bolts worked perfectly and there is plenty of thread, probably could get up to 34mm bolt in there before it bottoms. Thanks Flug! Someone had already tried some of the thread repair crud and I had to pick out some of it.

The rear bolts have plenty of length for the front cover. I will eventually replace them all but the leaks are gone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts