Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know it's not a twin but single seem to be accepted here as well, so here goes:

After some consideration, I had an idea- an old XR (or better yet XL) 100/125/200/250 street-legalised. Anyone who owns an XR could be a good help, first I would like to know what the fork diameter is, as an old set of slip-on headight mounts I have lying around would save some money. Also, would kickers or shift levers from other hondas fit it?

Second, how much is a lighting coil and how to get one relatively inexpensive or used.

Third, would a different front wheel work on it without changing the forks? I was thinking of a mech. drum fitted wheel from an old dual-sport or street bike so there would be a speedometer output. That way it would look and feel more vintage and street-worthy and I could have a mechanical speedometer/odo instead of a digital bicycle one.

Finally, how to set up the lights (as with my 360 project) so that the only electrical functions are the ignition, headlight, brake light and switch, and killswitch. No key needed and the only light function should be on/off.

Just curious as to whether this is possible, minus the legal aspects... thanks.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
A lot of the old XL models are already street legal. They were marketed and sold as enduros.. They already have a lighting coil built in that's acceptable. I had an 1976 XL125 once that my step brother and I made out of two trashed bikes, and that thing refused to quit. Not one part or gasket was bought for it. We used the best of all the old engine parts, and made all of the gaskets too. It didn't leak a drop of oil. I wish I still had it.. :cry:

As for fork diameter I'd take a wild guess and say 33mm but Steve should know on this one..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Fork sizes available in the parts cross-over topic....It depends on what size and year.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The XL sounds like a better choice but they're hard to come by out here. XR100s on the other hand, from the 80's on up get traded all the time.

Maybe a lighting coil from an XL100 would work on an XR100 from a similar year? Could get the XR here and have the coil shipped over ebay as a used part... good idea?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Troll around in here (http://xlboard.aimoo.com/).
Seems to me there is some info about streeting an XL.
I've got a '76 XL250(Olde Wheezy) for a town/bug-out bike and it's like riding a giant mountain bike. Very fun.
Add a 90's DR350 carb so it will start and some sorta pipe and yer stoked.
Heck, I didn't even have to re-jet the DR carb.
NE

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice, I like the "bug-out bike" thing. Seems I'm not the only survivalist on these boards :lol:. And these bikes do seem to be ideal BO vehicles- four-stroke, so they're reliable and only need one fluid (gas) consistenly, versus the 2-strokers that need gas and oil every time.

Thanks for the links as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
man an XL100 takes me back.. that was the bike I got licensed on and rode in 1974 till I moved up in size to a CL360. But that XL took a beating, never refused to start and I miss it to this very day. I've been thinking of a larger 70's XL for my next project just cause they are so fun. I'll be following your progress and hopefully soon will be adding my own progress to the boards.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I want an XR500

I would supermotard it though and ride it like a dirt bike on the street. mostly the front tire pointed up.

*sigh* that's why I don't have one.

Let us know what you end up with man, i am interested.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was getting really ready for this, but now low on funds... anybody want to buy some cb360 parts? :lol:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I rode an '82 XL80S until I was about 100 pounds too heavy for it, then I rode it some more. Trails, construction sites, city streets, hayfields, that little bike would go anywhere! Dual shock, steel gas tank, steel fenders, they sure don't build them like that anymore. :mrgreen:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts