Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What material are the finned exhaust header clamps made from? Chromed mild steel or stainless steel? wondering because mine has some rust and I was wondering if I could just chemically remove it and be good to go.

Also does anyone know of aftermarket replacements that don't look like absolute garbage? Or does anyone here have good OEM ones for sale?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I don't think they're stainless, they rust pretty easily as they age. You might try the Coke and tin foil rub first to see if that works

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
They look like chromed cast iron to me, but they could be cast steel, too. Submerging them in some Metal Rescue for a day will make them look brand new, but the rust will eventually come back. Most of the rust on mine has been in the rough-cast areas, and some high-temp silver paint there after the rust is removed will keep them looking good a lot longer. Just spray them and then take a cloth with some mineral spirits and wipe the paint off the smooth chrome parts before it dries - looks pretty good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I used leftover phosphoric acid from my gas tank derusting and some fine steel wool and that worked for me. Aluminum foil and water (or coke) will get you to the same spot though with less hand burning (I know, I know, wear gloves, but those warnings are usually a recommendation. Turns out they actually mean it for phosphoric acid)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I used leftover phosphoric acid from my gas tank derusting and some fine steel wool and that worked for me. Aluminum foil and water (or coke) will get you to the same spot though with less hand burning (I know, I know, wear gloves, but those warnings are usually a recommendation. Turns out they actually mean it for phosphoric acid)
MSR is actually ~70% Phosphoric acid (with an orange dye) - I always dilute it by half before use, and it's not hard on the hands at all - nowhere near as aggressive as sulfuric or hydrochloric acids. It leaves plenty of time to reach the garden hose and rinse your hands off. I keep a large cooler full of the stuff, and regularly just reach right in to retrieve parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts