Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again,
So I've been rebuilding my head after I found 3 of my valves were bent on my '74 cl450, finally got everything back together and am currently trying to line up the alternator with it's LT index mark and line up the cams with their respective timing marks. I am able to, quite easily, get the cams lined up with their correct marks (double checked with the 'clock' postitions posted in Bills sticky,) but when I turn the alternator CCW to line it up with the index marker, as I approach LT it 'runs' by almost a centimeter and will never let me stop it exactly on the index marker unless I roll it back that cm and hold it in place. From what I've read about cam timing this shouldn't be the case as it was designed to be performed by one person. Does anybody know what the issue could be or if i should just line everything up, holding it in place, and crimp the chain? I really don't want to have it off by half a tooth or something and end up bending the new valves I spent so much time lapping in. Thanks for your time and input!

Josh

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Josh-

It's typical of 180 degree twins to do this "run by".

Best you can do is slowly approach the mark, then use a shim or something on the rotor to hold it on the mark.
Some bikes are a bigger PIB than others to do this....
I assume the cam chain adjuster is off??
See if you can loosen all the tappets as much as possible, it will help.

I just did one today, and it was really easy on this engine.

So, persevere, dood..........

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great! Well that's what I wanted to hear. Thanks again Bill, one can always count on an informative and timely response from you!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Keep at it, you'll be ok.
If you think it "runs by" now, wait till you get it on compression stroke and try to set the left side timing.......

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more question actually, after it rolls by the fraction of an inch or whatever, is it okay to turn it back clockwise that small amount or do I really have to rotate it around another 360 degrees CCW and try to stop it again?

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
funk2eat said:
One more question actually, after it rolls by the fraction of an inch or whatever, is it okay to turn it back clockwise that small amount or do I really have to rotate it around another 360 degrees CCW and try to stop it again?
No, don't do that during timing. There is enough play in the gears/chain that you will move the crank (and it's mark) a few degrees before the cam starts to move. You need to go in a CCW direction and keep the tension on the valve train in that direction.

You might be able to get away with this since you're just trying to get the cam gear on the right link and a few degrees might not matter. However, when you're trying to set the timing, statically, you don't want to back up at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts