Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm knee deep in my ground up rebuild of my 70 CL450. I'm moving onto my engine which I pulled and was going to clean the outside of. Looked into the exhaust ports as I was about to block them off and saw a think carbon build up inside. Before pulling the engine it ran well and has great compression.
Is this something I need to worry about/look into and clean up?
If so what the easiest and most cost effective way? Can I do it or best left to a shop?
If it's no big deal I'd rather not have to stop my build and spend more time and money on it...
Picture attached. Auto part Gear Metal Hardware accessory

Cheers

DW

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well since this is my first build and I'm learning as I go I'm thinking I don't want to screw anything up so maybe I'll leave it alone until down the road when I pull it again for a proper engine overhaul. I'm thinking how would I get the crap out of there that I scraped and what if the valve isn't closed and some of it gets into the cylinder etc...doesn't sound worth the risk for me if it's not a big deal...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Totally normal. If you're concerned about carbon please don't look in your headers. ? If you want to do something good while you've got the pipes off, do as others have advised and replace those copper washers.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I only cleaned mine out when I did a top end rebuild of the engine. Brake cleaner and a wire brush did wonder for that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts