Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About how much could be made parting out one of these Honda twins? As much as I'm looking forward to this project I may need personal transport sooner than anticipated and the easiest way to do that might be to part the project out and buy a running, titled bike. I don't really want to do this and would not look forward to starting it, but sometimes things become necessary I suppose.

To give an idea of what I have, a 1974 CB360 with a newer, running 1975 motor with the cam chain fix installed, and the original '74 motor stuck and for spares. All parts solid, a few broken, a few in great condition, some clean some rusty. Not titled.

Anybody have experience here on how much I could make from this if it becomes necessary to part it? Alternatively of course I could trade it for a running titled bike but that will be left to the sales/trade forum.

Thanks.

·
Registered
659 Posts
IMO....I hate to see an old bike parted out unless it's been wreaked or otherwise been sitting in the rain for the past several decades. If the bike is mostly there and can be restored, I like seeing them saved, even with a modest restoration.

You gotta do what ya gotta do....but.....is it reasonable for you to consider that, although you might get less overall selling to someone who might restore it, at least you might get that amount quicker in one lump....as opposed to waiting months to part it out.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Parting it out isn't gonna get you some quick cash to buy a running bike anytime soon. Plus with bike prices going up for spring, you're going to have to spend more on a runner.

Parting out on the side is fine if you're in no hurry for cash. Plus no one is gonna give much for a non titled bike in fair condition or not. They're just not worth the trouble to title them in many cases, for some people anyway, so their offers stay low..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you've got a good running motor and a titlable frame the motor change is easy.....Jump in and dont look back...

---------------

·
Registered
439 Posts
Parting these hondas generally are NOT a "qiuck cash" solution. i know folk who make a living parting bikes. With these Honda's, some parts go immediately (speedos, gas tanks, side covers, engine heads, etc...) leaving then with bits that sit around for years.

Depending on your location, obtaining a title is possible. MI accepts Bill of Sale, for example. Check with your local moto shops or visit your local DMV and ASK. There are also title services that'll provide you a transferable title for approximately $200.

Personally, it breaks my heart to see good restorable bikes get parted. If I was in your position, I'd locate my area moto group (VinMoto groups are all over the country now) or visit my local speed shop and chat up that I have a foundation for a cafe bike. THAT word "cafe" tends to get folk's attention. itsa popular movement lately. Craigslist is also a good way to move a bike to someone needing a project. Just keep in mind, you probably will break even financially. I find wrenching vintage bikes is a deep money pit.... but will save that rant for another morning :) danWI

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
I've been parting out a 350 for most of a year now (no title, engine locked up).

Still have about 1/3 of it.

Have sold most parts for shipping plus a few bucks. I'm sure you could do better on e-bay but don't expect to pay for another bike on the profits.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts