Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this winter I want to do some changes on my cm400, I ordered an led tallight/blinker set up, new headlight and ring, light blue headlight wrap, header wrap and a pair of shorty mufflers. Now my question is will the center stand hit the chain without the longer mufflers keeping it pushed down or will I have to remove the centerstand?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
You will probably have to fabricate a bracket to "stop" it.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im new to bikes and when I change my mufflers, do I have to re-jet the carbs,tune them or?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
You'll have to "read" the plugs to tell/know what to do.....If the bike in the avatar is yours, you are already running lean (blued pipes)......

·
Registered
6 Posts
66Sprint said:
You will probably have to fabricate a bracket to "stop" it.....
My CB500T center stand did hit the chain once the oem pipes and mufflers were removed and the center stand 'toe grab' was shortened (see pic). I also upgraded to a 520 chain & sprockets which may be marginally larger. Your center stand geometry may be different, but perhaps my el-cheapo solution could be modified to suit your bike.

I cut a piece of 1/8" x 3/4" aluminum bar stock long enough to span the top of the two locking bolts that secure the center stand pivot, and epoxied two rubber bumpers to the 'bottom' of the bracket, such that they would meet the center stand legs as they were rotating upward, holding them just short of the chain (see other pic). I had to experiment with different bumper diameters and depth, to get the just-right fitment. Auto supply stores have an assortment of such bumpers for doors, hoods, etc. A shot of black paint, install, and move on the the next challenge.

Good luck!

Best-

stevene

·
Registered
121 Posts
do you plan on using the original taillight housing or is the LED housing stand alone? i was thinking of pillaging some LED's from a salvage car and shoving it into the housing.

Tom

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Is there not a rubber bumper on the centre of the stand near to the frame to stop the stand hitting the frame hard and with a clang?

·
Registered
6 Posts
nigelrharris03 said:
Is there not a rubber bumper on the centre of the stand near to the frame to stop the stand hitting the frame hard and with a clang?
Nope, not on the '75 500T, though I've seen such in parts drawings of 450's. Instead, a 'hoop' in the oem toe grab flips up against the underside of the leftside muffler to hold it off the chain. But once the muffler is gone and the toe grab shortened, it rotates further upward unhindered, and strikes the chain. Thus the need for an improvised stopper.

Best-

stevene

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Yes I can see what your saying.
Would it not be possible to add one there to save adding a modification?
I am just asking, I dont know if it could be done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea the bike in the picture is mine and lean is what I thought also from reading articles. So do the plugs still have to be read or can one tell by looking at the pipes and know what is needed for the carbs? Like said earlier the original mufflers had a stopper,the aftermarket megafones held the kickstand down but now I put some shorties on. I made an "L" shaped bracket for now and it works, but now im unsure about the mufflers. I like how the shorties sound but like how the megafones look, so I dont know... The tail light is an all in one unit that is oval shaped with LEDs, the center has the brake light and the ends have the turn signals.

·
Registered
6 Posts
nigelrharris03 said:
Yes I can see what your saying.
Would it not be possible to add one there to save adding a modification?
I am just asking, I dont know if it could be done.
Hi Nigel:

There is really no decent place to install a bumper on the 500T swing arm assembly, other than perhaps welding a tab or hoop onto the pivot tube. Unfortunately, I didn't realize this problem until all parts were sand blasted and powder coated (and assembled!) so the bolt-on bumper/bracket solution seemed appropriate.

Lesson learned: install the new sprockets & chain - and taller Hagon shocks - during mock-up (!)

Best-

stevene

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
I hope that your solution works well as its not good to have the chain tangle with metalwork.
I have a small chunk of casing missing after my chain broke. Lucky it was not much more serious to the bike or me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nigelrharris03 said:
I hope that your solution works well as its not good to have the chain tangle with metalwork.
I have a small chunk of casing missing after my chain broke. Lucky it was not much more serious to the bike or me.
I made a bracket and all is well.Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts