Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the hot ticket for good performing shocks for spirited riding in the twisties for a 71 CB350 K3 and retaining a factory (or close) appearance? The only aftermarket shocks I've run on CB750s is Ikon and I've been very pleased with them. Hagon is also highly regarded for the SOHC4 bikes.Both make a shock that appears very close to factory aside from the body being chrome and the upper mount appearing slightly different. I was leaning towards Hagon to save a few bucks on this bike, but now I see Ikon makes a "basix" shock which seems to be the same as their standard shock but without rebound damping adjustment. Is there anything else I should consider? What do you guys recommend?

This is my first twin, prior to this my only Honda street bikes have been CB750s. I've never rode it so I don't know how it handles now, but sitting on the bike the original springs feel very soft and the shocks don't feel like they're doing much. I'm sure anything new would be better, but I'd prefer to go with something that works well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
What is the hot ticket for good performing shocks for spirited riding in the twisties for a 71 CB350 K3 and retaining a factory (or close) appearance? The only aftermarket shocks I've run on CB750s is Ikon and I've been very pleased with them. Hagon is also highly regarded for the SOHC4 bikes.Both make a shock that appears very close to factory aside from the body being chrome and the upper mount appearing slightly different. I was leaning towards Hagon to save a few bucks on this bike, but now I see Ikon makes a "basix" shock which seems to be the same as their standard shock but without rebound damping adjustment. Is there anything else I should consider? What do you guys recommend?

This is my first twin, prior to this my only Honda street bikes have been CB750s. I've never rode it so I don't know how it handles now, but sitting on the bike the original springs feel very soft and the shocks don't feel like they're doing much. I'm sure anything new would be better, but I'd prefer to go with something that works well.
Sounds like you’ve found the 2 performance, stock looking shocks. Hagon and Ikon are both held in high regard to shocks. If you want to save a few pennies the only other I’d might consider is the TEC USA shocks but if I was going for performance I’d probably do Hagon 1st, Ikon 2nd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went with the standard Ikon adjustable shocks, with chrome shrouds for close to original appearance. I'm very pleased with them. The original front is not as bad as I expected after rebuilding, at least on perfectly smooth roads. I don't have much confidence in the front when scraping pegs on imperfect roads though. Hopefully this winter I'll make up my mind on front suspension.

Good info at the other forum, I mostly gave up on this one after little response to anything here but some knowledgeable guys being very active there. https://www.hondatwins.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?53-Steering-Suspension-and-Frame

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the reply! Your line of thinking is exactly what I was thinking for my '72 CB350, regarding the Ikon rear shocks with the chrome shrouds for the OEM appearance. Where did you order them from. (if that's something that you're not supposed to post, shoot me a PM).
I am also looking for someone local to modify my factory front forks. I can pull them off, but I ain't tearing into them.
Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered: Ikon Dial-A-Ride • IKON Suspension USA

Guy at the shop in PA sent me an email to confirm spring selection and let me know if would be at least a month given delays related to the draconian government response to the coronavirus. Received in just over a month which fit my timeline to get the bike back together, all is well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that's odd. I just noticed my link was butchered. The other forum is vintage honda twins . com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts