Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting the engine back in the frame, can I install the cam / followers etc with the engine in the frame? i.e. all assembled including cam box etc. just without the cam and associated bits.

The reason for asking is I'm thinking I can put a suitable rod (broom handle maybe) through the cam box to make it a simpler two person lift - one either side - to make it a possible simpler and more controllable install. The cam box would be secured down, but not torqued up during this.

It's just a thought, and may not be that clever. We'll see dependent on answer to above.

Many Thanks

Jonathan

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Or you could lay the engine on it's side, on the floor, and lay the frame down over it. Slide it into place and insert a coupe of bolts, stand the frame up and finish the job.

Reactions: Alan F.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Working alone, there was no way i could lift my 450 motor from the frame. Out of sheer frustration, I laid the bike over on it's left side on a thick pile of old blankets I had handy and the engine fell out as soon as the bike was laid horizontally! Made a mental note to keep at least one mounting bolt in it next time. I was alone when it was time to remount it, and I reversed the process, as Mike describes above. It's incredibly easy. I then put the two lower bolts in and stood it back up. The rear turn signal is the only part I worried about, but I unbolted it as well and secured it to the bike for the process.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your replies.

It's a 1971 CB350K3 - a bit of useful info that I forgot to include...

(I was aware of the frame over the engine technique, but) Seeing the pictures in Tom's link, I've decided it's very much the sensible and practical way to proceed, so that's how I'll do it.

Once again thanks for your help.

Jonathan

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Works great, I just did it again a couple days ago for the second time in a year. Got the big bolts in the lower engine case and tipped it up like it was a bicycle... a really heavy bicycle :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but I realized too late that I dissed you, Tom, when I skipped over the fact that you not only recommended the lay-down method along with Mike, but provided pictures! And pictures of what appears to be the ultimate 450 Hot Rod, literally! Dang, that is a good looking scoot. My sincere apologies, sir.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Rich, no worries and thanks very much for the kind words. We snipe and get sniped (unintentionally, of course) all the time here, whoever posts first. I'm fortunate that my build turned out pretty much as I envisioned it for a long time, and I'm close to getting it going again, fingers crossed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts