Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, here's a mystery: I was riding my 1980 CM200t to work when I got stuck behind a school bus and shut off the motor. Oddly, it didn't have enough juice to turn the starter, so I jumped it. Jumped it again to get home that evening. It ran fine till I hit a steep hill and the motor started skipping in low rpms. Had to jump it again a few times to get it up the hill and it sputtered the rest of the half mile home. Plugged it into the charger overnight but the next morning the bike had no power. I pulled the battery, charged it alone overnight and tested with a multimeter, which is showing a full 6V charge, but when I connect it back up to the bike, still nothing. Not sure what to do next. Thoughts? Problem with the electrical? Stator? Regulator? I just got it running after a 20 year spell in my dad's garage. Been riding it once a week and it's been running well until now... Was hoping to have it for the summer weather so I would love to hear if anyone has any suggestions!

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Symptoms listed point to the battery discharging. If it's over 2 years old I'd replace it and then with a known good battery check the charging output. You can charge it and take to an auto parts store to have it tested or somewhere like Batteries Plus. Call them first to be sure they can deal with a 6V battery, some only do 12V
Any new farckles added like LED signals or is it bone stock?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
OK, then it sounds like we're into a charging problem. I don't know much about these but Steve, aka 66Sprint, does and should be along to offer advice

·
Sensei
27,070 Posts
Sounds like a dead/discharged/weak battery to me as well..........We'll have to track down why......
Phone and we can discuss what you'll need to check the re-charging system......540-525-5199....Steve

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I will give you a call tomorrow in the afternoon (your time) and hopefully we can connect up. Appreciate your help!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure what was wrong but thanks for your help walking me through the testing Steve. Rode the bike this week and everything seems to be running well now. Maybe just disconnecting and reconnecting the wires did the trick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts