Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just about to pull the engine on my 1982 CB450T so that I can repaint the frame and do a through exterior engine clean. This will be my first time stripping down a bike, so I wanted to make sure I didn't do anything stupid from ignorance (I do enough stupid stuff for other reasons!).:D

Anyway, I have seen photos of engines removed with rags stuffed into the locations where the carbs would mount when they are removed. Other than that, is there anything else I need to do if the engine will be taken out of the bike and stored for a few weeks (ok, likely months).

thanks,
Steve

·
Super Moderator
10,202 Posts
Seal both the intake and exhaust ports. I used corks from the hardware store but there are lots of ways to do it. Draining the oil could save you a mess later. Some might recommend putting some oil in the cylinders, I don't consider it necessary for short term storage. The important stuff will come when you put it back together. You'll also be getting advice on how to go about the exterior cleaning, pictures of what it looks like now would be helpful.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JT. Here are some photos of the engine now that it has been removed. The Cylinder head cover had a lot of grease and oil on it, so I removed it and cleaned it up with degreaser. I still need to polish it as I have seen some of the others on this forum do, but it already looks better just being without quite some much oil and dirt.

2014-09-14 13.14.40.jpg
I reattached the cylinder head just to keep things from getting dirty inside.
2014-09-14 15.13.52.jpg

IMG_1858.JPG

Note that the bolts that hold on the exhaust are really rusted and pitted. Is there a way to replace these? I will be covering these exhaust ports as you suggested initially with rags until I can get some cork or something similar.

IMG_1859.JPG IMG_1860.JPG

Do I need to replace the rubber gasket that seals the cylinder head since I took it off? :confused: It seemed to be in surprisingly good shape.

·
Super Moderator
10,202 Posts
Just for your information the part you are referring to is the valve cover. The head is the part below it which houses the valves and forms the top of the combustion chamber. That's what the carbs and exhaust connect to. You also need to plug the crankcase vent tube on the back of the valve cover.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks JT! As you can tell, I am still quite the newby. I got the "cylinder head cover" from an ambiguous arrow in the shop manual. Seemed better than calling it an aluminum thingy on top. ;) I suspect I will have to get my terminology more accurate in order to ask better questions. And a good reason to post lots of photos!
thanks again!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Wrap in a large trash bag even if you really wanted it out of the elements.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wrap in a large trash bag even if you really wanted it out of the elements.
Thanks. It is in a dry garage, but that extra layer of protection can't hurt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts