Honda Twins banner

Project Interruption 2.0: Long Term Storage Precautions?

616 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  krukster86 
#1 ·
UGH so my 4 month field assignment is ending next month and I just found out I have a 1 year assignment in the other side of the US starting pretty much immediately after. Sadly, this means my project is going to be laid up till 2019. Here is the status of my project:

• Bike is 98% assembled: Need to install air filters, airbox covers, and install new fuel hoses
  • No oil in the rebuilt engine, although rotating parts have been rubbed with Assembly Lube
  • Rebuilt top end cylinders have been rubbed with oil upon reassembly of engine
  • Fuel tank is completely empty/dry and has been sealed with POR-15. No fuel has ever touched the newly sealed tank.
  • Carburetors have been rebuilt and are dry

Do I need to do anything to preserve the project till I come back to it? i.e. do anything to the fuel tank, add oil to the engine, drop of oil to the cylinders, etc. My concern is that sitting around unused and dry may lead to some hard work going to waste.

See less See more
#2 ·
Dry is good, maybe put parts in a trashbag with dessicant or use a fogging oil on the cylinders. Plug all holes so dirt and bugs don't get in.

#3 ·
Some folks recommend filling the crankcase with oil to overflowing.

Personally, I would fill the crankcase to normal fill line, spray storage seal in the cylinders, and crank it over by hand a few times.

Maybe just as important is accommodating the environmental conditions where the bike will be stored. In a heated garage a blanket/sheet to keep the dust off may be sufficient. Under the tree in the back yard is different.

#4 ·
Use the center stand but also raise the front wheel off the ground to avoid flat spots.

#5 ·
Thanks. I will lean on the side of caution and fill the crankcase with oil, spray some oil in the cylinders (and crank a bit), and plug up all holes with some shop towels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.