Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 563 Posts

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This winter my CB450 K1/K5 mix of parts will become a genuine K1 from 1968. Iv'e got hold of a K1 without an engine and tank but with a title and boxes of K1 parts. The plan is to restore the bike and then next summer when the bike hopefully will be sorted go on an epic trip all over Europe. There are still some countries I have not visited so the plan so far is as follows.
Ride with my friend Peter through Denmark to Germany to visit the big Honda four meeting in Edersee. From there I'll run alone and will cross into Holland, Belgium and Luxemburg (3 new countries under my belt) back into Germany and the Nurburgring old Nordschleife race track (maybe even run a lap with the 450 with the camcorder on) in the Eifel mountains. From there it's off to Paris in France (another country) to take a photo of the bike in front of the Eiffel tower. From there to the Le Mans race track (can see a theme here) and run the 450 on the mulsanne straight which is a normal road when there is no racing going on. Then through southern France and Provance past the gorge de Verdun that I think is the second largest canyon after Grand Canyon. From there to the french riviera and ride the coastal road that [video=youtube;SIvY47CrIxg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIvY47CrIxg]Roger Moore and Tony Curtis drove in The Persuaders[/video]. Past Saint Tropez, Nice and into Monaco (another country) where I'll try to follow the Formula 1 race track. From there into Italy and riding along the Alps past Lake Como where the Moto Guzzi factory is past Slovenia into Croatia to take a bath in the Mediterranean sea (note to selfe, remember swimming trunks) and then meet up with my family at my mother in law who is Hungarian. I have not decided yet what way I will travel back to Sweden from there.

Well, I better start working on my bike then. :D

The bike looks like this at the moment ...
[attachment=2:1hwxjxa6]SSA52339-1024.jpg[/attachment:1hwxjxa6]

and the engine still is in parts after the big end faliure ...
[attachment=1:1hwxjxa6]SSA52451-1024.jpg[/attachment:1hwxjxa6]

and this is the "new" K1 frame and some of the parts.
[attachment=0:1hwxjxa6]SSA52558-1024.jpg[/attachment:1hwxjxa6]

Attachments

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When I took the crankcase apart one of the 6 mm bolts snapped so the first thing I did was to drill out the rest of the bolt.
[attachment=1:1bbiz3at]SSA52642-1024.jpg[/attachment:1bbiz3at]

It did not go perfect as I slightly damaged the thread so I Helicoiled it to be safe. The Helicoil insert shall always end at least one thread inside the hole.
[attachment=0:1bbiz3at]SSA52649-1024.jpg[/attachment:1bbiz3at]

Attachments

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Hi Ronny
That will be some trip, how long are you thinking of taking to do it? Im quite envious.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nigelrharris03 said:
Hi Ronny
That will be some trip, how long are you thinking of taking to do it? Im quite envious.
Nigel, if everything works out as planned I will be so privileged that I simply can let it take the time it takes. No time schedule to follow. :D

BTW, GREAT NEWS TODAY!
My before crooked K1 frame is now straight as an arrow. I finally found some use of public transport.
I strapped the frame to the railway and manipulated it with a 20 ton bottle jack.
Relax, not many trains are passing here ... I think. :shock:
[attachment=5:1xlp05bc]SSA52656-1024.jpg[/attachment:1xlp05bc]

[attachment=4:1xlp05bc]SSA52653-1024.jpg[/attachment:1xlp05bc]

It worked out perfectly and here are some before and after shots.

Before.
[attachment=3:1xlp05bc]SSA52591-1024.jpg[/attachment:1xlp05bc]

After.
[attachment=2:1xlp05bc]SSA52658-1024.jpg[/attachment:1xlp05bc]

Before.
[attachment=1:1xlp05bc]SSA52590-1024.jpg[/attachment:1xlp05bc]

After.
[attachment=0:1xlp05bc]SSA52662-1024.jpg[/attachment:1xlp05bc]

Proof that you can make millimeter adjustments with a sledgehammer if you use it with feeling and yes, I'm a lost case. :lol:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Now that is cool. It is always fun to come up with a way to do something like that.
Don

·
Premium Member
417 Posts

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
In reality, it's not much different from the frame straightener jig/cage we used at the shop......I did have the advantage of adjustable struts to hold the frame EXACTLY where I wanted it, and a pointer through the steering neck on a gauge to assure rake angle and centering... But the movement/force was provided by small hydraulic cylinders (pretty much what you did.....) :D ... Good job!...... Did you find a replacement left passenger peg bracket yet?... (I do have a "dead" frame one could be cut from, but the shipping would probably be prohibitive).... Steve

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for the kind words. I find it strangely satisfying to make an odd theoretical solution i've made up in my head work in real life. :D

Steve, I've not got hold of a bracket yet. I will probably get one sent to me in a week or two but it's very good to know that you've got one in case anything goes wrong.
BTW, sometimes solutions are closer than one think. Turns out a fellow vintage Honda nut here in Malmo I've known for a while owns a welding company. He says, just bring the frame and the bracket and I'll cut and weld it for you. Excellent! :D

I havent welded since I built a beach buggy in 83 (my wife sitting in the Humbug in 83) and the metal is quite thin on the 450's passenger peg bracket so I think it's wise to get it done by a pro.

[attachment=0:37799uqv]HumBug4.jpg[/attachment:37799uqv]

Attachments

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Please, please, I hope I never ever have to install the rollers in the crank bearings again. They really test a persons patience. :roll:

Some of the rollers on the new crank had some rust so I selected the best from my new and the old crank.
[attachment=3:2y00ekk8]SSA52673-1024.jpg[/attachment:2y00ekk8]

Lots of assembly lube inside the bearing. Helps to hold the rollers so they just starts to fall out before you can get the outer bearing shell over them. Gah!
[attachment=2:2y00ekk8]SSA52676-1024.jpg[/attachment:2y00ekk8]

Lucky I double checked everything. Had somehow got the outer shell on the wrong way around. That would have caused the oil paths not to line up and no oil to bearing is a disaster waiting to happen.
When I installed the crank the bearings did not line up. I could force them in the slots but then the crank would feel VERY tight and the outer end went up and down about 2 millimeters. What's happening! I spent half an hour with all the scenarios from an of an out of balance crank to faulty bearings before I noticed that a roller had wedged itselfe inside the middle left bearing. Doh!
[attachment=1:2y00ekk8]SSA52678-1024.jpg[/attachment:2y00ekk8]

Finally everything lines up perfectly and the crank turns really easy.
[attachment=0:2y00ekk8]SSA52689-1024.jpg[/attachment:2y00ekk8]

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Really creative, Ronny. And way to put it into practice.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would really like to thank Rod for explaining to me how the lubrication to the crank works. I did not know there was these cavitys behind the middle bearings that via a passage lubricates the big ends.

Today I used my oil can and squirted oil down the cavity to prelubricate the big ends.
[attachment=3:1ihc1tix]SSA52676-1024-arrow.jpg[/attachment:1ihc1tix]

I also wrapped the tip of my oil can with selfe vulcanizing tape (to get a seal) and pushed oil into the oil passages (while using my finger to plug the other end) to check that oil flows freely to all four bearings.
[attachment=2:1ihc1tix]SSA52691-1024.jpg[/attachment:1ihc1tix]

And it did.
[attachment=1:1ihc1tix]SSA52693-1024.jpg[/attachment:1ihc1tix]

Anybody knows why one of the middle bearings has a smaller oil passage?
[attachment=0:1ihc1tix]SSA52686-1024-arrow.jpg[/attachment:1ihc1tix]

Attachments

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, this week didn't start as I planned at all. I collapsed early on monday morning with chest pain, could not breathe, cold sweat, dry mouth, wife says I passed out (don't really remember) and went by ambulance to the hospital. They let me back home yesterday but I'll have to go slow for a couple of days. Still a bit tired and dizzy (even dizzier than my normal state). :D It was not a heart attack and that's good news but I'll have to go on some further checkups.

Typical now when I finally have all the parts I need to really start working on my bike I'll have to take it easy. :roll:

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
You take it easy Ronnie, I went through very similar symptons early on this year, have been having tests and blood tests ever since. For what its worth once the medical profesion gets their hands on you they don't let you go. Been well worth it though, I haven't felt so good in years.
Good luck with bike and body.

1 - 20 of 563 Posts