Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my project for next winter but as I seams to have started gathering parts and do some work on it already I thought I should present it. I bought the 1966 CB450 K0 Black Bomber frame and a box of parts a couple of months ago and since Bomber parts is both rare and quite expensive I'm going to build the first version as a period café racer mostly with left over parts from other projects and get a built in patina in the process.
There are some Bomber features I want on the bike from the beginning though. The correct side covers, the characteristic headlight combo with built in speedo/tacho and the stock rear fender as almost nothing else will fit.

You might have noticed that I've written CB600 in the title. I haven't found an engine for the project yet but it will be a 500T engine bored out to maximum. I figure if I can get the engine over 550 cc I've earned the right to call it a 600. Ideally the engine will be mildly tuned too but getting the bike up and running is the first priority. :D

I've been offered workspace among a group of friends that, like me, are motorcycle enthusiasts so if everything goes to plan I will have a complete machine shop to my disposal in the fall which will give me the possibility to build motorcycles on a whole new level. The bike will be a rolling restoration and over time my goal is to get the bike looking like the Bomber in my daughters drawing as I really like the look of it.
http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/8-pictures-videos/27543-looks-like-there-s-bomber-ink-illustration-making-2.html#post222613

FILE0635-800.jpg

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
A CB450 K0 speedo/tacho combo reading in km/h is almost impossible to find for a reasonable cost so I'll have to settle for something that looks similar. I bought this speedo/tacho combo announced as an early CB125 item on an auction site here in Sweden but to me it looks more like a CB77 meter.

Does anybody have a clue what Honda model it's from and does it have the same dimensions as a Bomber meter?

IMG_1223-640.jpg

IMG_1225-640-arrows.jpg

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Really looking forward to watching your progress on this one. You mentioned that you might be looking for a 500T engine and bore it out to max. My personal experience (and that of some local historic racers) is that the 500T engine vibrates quite a bit more than the 450 engine due to it's longer stroke. One mate used to have a 500T race bike and found it very difficult to rev the motor to 10000 rpm. He have now replaced it with a 450 (modified) and finds it a lot better for racing and also less viby.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks like a great project. Just so you know, it looks like a K1, not a K0. The tank is from a K1, not a K0. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Hi Ronny it looks the same size as my Bomber meter as far as I can tell, the only difference in the photos is that yours is KPH and the red lines are 11,500 to 13,000 on yours and mine is 9,500 to 10,500 also the overall depth is about 60mm, not including the cable fittings etc.Hope this helps.
Lee
20140311_085218.jpg 20140311_085325.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Hi Ronny,

Speedo is from a CB125 K2/K3/K4, starting the red line at 11.750 rpm. Also a possible fit for the CB160 and CB93. p/n is 7200-304-xxx. It's certainly not for the CB72/CB77 range, hence the redline.

Personally I do not like the way you go with the bomber, as I do like original, but I do understand the reason why. I really hope it turns in something special. If you need specific parts, you can always ask, I might have it. I'm curious about the way you build up your engine, thus following this threat with great pleasure

Jensen

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really looking forward to watching your progress on this one. You mentioned that you might be looking for a 500T engine and bore it out to max. My personal experience (and that of some local historic racers) is that the 500T engine vibrates quite a bit more than the 450 engine due to it's longer stroke. One mate used to have a 500T race bike and found it very difficult to rev the motor to 10000 rpm. He have now replaced it with a 450 (modified) and finds it a lot better for racing and also less viby.

Just my 2 cents.
Drifter, I have understood from other projects on the forum that the 500T engine might vibrate a bit more than the 450 but I'm not going to race the bike so I'll rarely touch 10000 rpm. Matter in fact I quite enjoy the 450's vibrations (compared to my CB500 four) on long rides as I feel it stimulates the circulation in my arms, legs and back (seriously, I'm not joking). I wouldn't mind some more vibration and if it becomes too bad I can always remove the top engine mount. Some years ago I rode my CB500 four together with a guy on a stock CB500T and I had problems keeping up. He had so much torque out of the corners. :D

Looks like a great project. Just so you know, it looks like a K1, not a K0. The tank is from a K1, not a K0. Good luck!
Gtprend, as I mentioned in the first post the frame is a 1966 K0 and I will build the bike with left over parts from other 450 projects so you are correct that the tank is from a K1. I have had my eyes on a dented Bomber tank with scratched and dented side covers but it's simply too expensive for me at the moment.

Hi Ronny,

Speedo is from a CB125 K2/K3/K4, starting the red line at 11.750 rpm. Also a possible fit for the CB160 and CB93. p/n is 7200-304-xxx. It's certainly not for the CB72/CB77 range, hence the redline.

Personally I do not like the way you go with the bomber, as I do like original, but I do understand the reason why. I really hope it turns in something special. If you need specific parts, you can always ask, I might have it. I'm curious about the way you build up your engine, thus following this threat with great pleasure

Jensen
Jensen, thank you for stating what model the meter is from. That will make it easier for me to find a headlight housing that it fits into. If you look at the pictures below you can see that the frame is heavily modified in several areas. I will restore the frame to as close to stock as possible so I feel that I'm saving an old bike from ending up at the scrap yard. It will be a rolling restoration/transformation so hopefully it will look pretty good in a couple of years. ;)

FILE0255-800.jpg

FILE0245-800.jpg

Hi Ronny it looks the same size as my Bomber meter as far as I can tell, the only difference in the photos is that yours is KPH and the red lines are 11,500 to 13,000 on yours and mine is 9,500 to 10,500 also the overall depth is about 60mm, not including the cable fittings etc.Hope this helps.
Lee
View attachment 34348 View attachment 34349
Hope-Springs, what are the measurements of the outer edges of the chrome ring on your Bomber meter?

When I measure my meter it's 95 mm and 130 mm.

FILE0006-800.jpg

FILE0003-800.jpg

·
Registered
796 Posts
Nice one Ronny, let me know if you plan to put the original steering damper assembly back in - I still have some new old stock parts to suit.

Do you have a frame number? It looks K0 to me with the tube steel rear pegs/exhaust mount on the frame, but they may have done that to K1 frames too - dunno.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Drifter, I have understood from other projects on the forum that the 500T engine might vibrate a bit more than the 450 but I'm not going to race the bike so I'll rarely touch 10000 rpm. Matter in fact I quite enjoy the 450's vibrations (compared to my CB500 four) on long rides as I feel it stimulates the circulation in my arms, legs and back (seriously, I'm not joking). I wouldn't mind some more vibration and if it becomes too bad I can always remove the top engine mount. Some years ago I rode my CB500 four together with a guy on a stock CB500T and I had problems keeping up. He had so much torque out of the corners.

I do agree the 500T has very good torque and as long as the revs lives mostly below 7500rpm the vibtations are not not too bad. I went from a 15 to 16 tooth on my front sprocket and vibration is not a issue at cruising speed of around 110 kph. I only though vibration could be an issue as you mentioned that you wanted to bore it out to max, but if you are chasing torque more that max power output this will be a good way to go. Enjoy the build and I will definately keep an eye on this one. Looks to be very interesting.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Ronnie, its not the top you have to worry about but the actual lower body part that slides into the headlight shell. Also bear in mind the BB sits on a cushion and is held in place by a bracket inside the headlight shell. I have no dealings with the 125 but bear in mind the CB72/77 does fit the BB but is held in place by two outside screws.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Ronnie,When you find something that fits pay particular attention to the live/earth wires when wiring up.If I remember right some of the clocks have small insulation blocks fitted on the casings.I do know I've blown loads of fuses & been scratching my head in the past when things haven't worked correctly but sure you will get there.Regards Chris.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Hi Ronnie,

Everthing on the bomer is relative small, and I agree, I expected the other way around too.
I have all three speedo's CB125 (yours), CB72/77 and CB450. Next time I can compare them.

Jensen

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ronnie, its not the top you have to worry about but the actual lower body part that slides into the headlight shell. Also bear in mind the BB sits on a cushion and is held in place by a bracket inside the headlight shell. I have no dealings with the 125 but bear in mind the CB72/77 does fit the BB but is held in place by two outside screws.
Ray, I do have the measurements from the lower body part but didn't think anybody had a loose meter as I did not get any answers on my question earlier in this topic. I'm very interested in finding out if this meter would fit in a Bomber headlight shell, otherwise I'll have to settle for now with a headlight shell from a 125/160/175, just to get the Bomber look.

I must say I did know that Bomber parts were quite expensive but the cheapest I've been able to find a dinged Bomber tank with scratched and dinged chrome side covers is over £300 and I payed more than I dare to admit for the rusty side covers. :shock:

IMG_1225-640-arrows.jpg

Ronnie,When you find something that fits pay particular attention to the live/earth wires when wiring up.If I remember right some of the clocks have small insulation blocks fitted on the casings.I do know I've blown loads of fuses & been scratching my head in the past when things haven't worked correctly but sure you will get there.Regards Chris.
Chris, thanks for the heads up about that. I'll keep that in mind.

Hi Ronnie,

Everthing on the bomer is relative small, and I agree, I expected the other way around too.
I have all three speedo's CB125 (yours), CB72/77 and CB450. Next time I can compare them.

Jensen
Jensen, I would appreciate that very much. Any info that will help me find a headlight shell my meter will fit in is helpful.

I know the meter works by the way as I tried it with a drilling machine and a speedo cable. :D

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Ronny, There were two makes fitted on bombers Nippon Seiki & Fuji electric.If my pic comes through alright this may help you out.I found an old shell & rubber ring from a bomber don't know which make it is as top half isn't there but you can see the insulation bit of plastic and note it will still be insulated from the casing even when the bulb is lit.I.E two wires to bullb live and earth.(sure you will get my drift re this)Without actually taking a meter out of a bomber the best measurements I can give are 12cm one way and the 8.5cm the other i.e to outside of rubber ring.This rubber does push in so far into the shell but also compresses up a bit to hold tight ,it is a soft type rubber foam about 3/4cm thick.Think you could make yours fit(by making a custom rubber) into an original bomber headlight shell if you can find one but the correct dimensions on a bomber clock are 11cm X 7.7cm X 5cm deep.The actual rubber fitted is also same part number for CB160 but now obsolete 37242 222 000 .As Ray says the CB72 one will fit but sides of casing splay out to a wider diameter at the top and hence hold in with two screws through the shell and into the clock itself.Hope this helps regards Chris.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
This pic gives you an idea how the rubber & clamp ring (proper term meter frame) hold the clock into the headlight shell.(ring fits in halfway up rubber and is clamped to bottom of speedo with 2 nuts.(In my view this clamp is a bit of a nonsense really but it does work. Have seen many clocks trying to make there way out of the top of the headlight shells:p Regards Chris.
001.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
P.S. Its the neutral light that must have the two wires on (Be correct holder) and still be insulated from casing as you can see in pic. Regards Chris.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts