Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've always wanted to restore an old Honda CB and there's a guy in my area that's selling one, but it's a roller and most of it is in boxes. He was a mechanic, but he's retiring and he wants to get rid of all the bikes and parts he has. I use to work on cars with my dad and uncles when I was a kid, but never worked on a motorcycle. He said it is in decent shape and it has a title. I'm not sure if I should go for it or wait and see if I can get one that's complete? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Unless you have a mentor I would suggest starting out with a running bike, or at least one that comes completely assembled.

·
Registered
554 Posts
What’s the bike? If it’s 350 or bigger, I’d say $300 with a title is a very low risk investment. You’ll have to read the FSM religiously and probably want to keep the seller’s number on hand for any questions or missing bits, but personally, I’d do it if it were big enough to be interesting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a cb350. He says all the parts are there they are just in boxes. I'm trying to decide if it's worth driving out to his shop and at least taking a look at the bike.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yeah, I’d pick it up. If it’s not substantially rusted, you could put it back together and sell it for three times what you paid, though we’d love to see it reborn :)

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Get some pictures while you are out there and post them. These things are simple and we will help you put it together. Imagine the pride you will have once it is running.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice, but unfortunately the guy ended up selling the bike to some one else. Oh well I guess I'll have to wait until I find another one that's within my price range.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Thanks for all the advice, but unfortunately the guy ended up selling the bike to some one else. Oh well I guess I'll have to wait until I find another one that's within my price range.
Too bad it was sold to another. But, that just might have been a blessing. When they are disassembled like that, deterioration can be a very bad thing and cause you to have to replace a lot. Like has been said, if you can pick up on one that is together, that would be best and you can pretty much see what is there and what isn't. Got a lot of experienced folks on here, who are more than willing to answer questions & offer advice, as needed. And, with You taking it apart, you then have a better knowledge of how it goes back together. Good luck with your quest. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts