Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! trying this again. I was on the other twins forum and there is a lot less activity.

I bought a cheap CM400T to keep me busy this winter. I want to clean it up and make it look pretty. When I bought it, there were some.. err... "upgrades" to the bike that I wasnt thrilled about.

When I bought it...

How it sits now...

The exhaust is a mess... it came "custom" with a 2-1 exhaust going into a Z1000 muffler. It was hideous.
i went with an Emgo 27" reverse megaphone muffler. Should arrive soon.

I am just curious how this is going to affect the bike. I understand I will probably need to tune the carbs, but will i need to rejet too?

usually, i see people using 2 of these units on their stock exhaust (2 mufflers) and I am curious how one will work when 2 cylinders are pushing. I guess I will just have to put it on and see what happens.

ANY input would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to using the search function on the forum.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Re: New bike... and introduction!

As for jetting changes (or not), plug checks will tell the tale...CV carbs are amazingly resilient to some changes, but greatly effected by others..... Plug readings will let the engine tell you what it needs.....................

·
Registered
272 Posts

What Sprint said.

Good luck on the bike. And Sprint, love the new Avatar.

Edit: Noticed you're in Portland. I'm in Vancouver. Ever want to wrench or ride, let me know. My bike won't be done until the spring, but plenty of garage time before then.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts

Hi there
I like you new winter warmer project. Just the thing to keep you occupied during those non ridable months. Are the reverse cone megs having baffels?
Nice thought though (they were very popular in the UK in the 60's)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Progress. '80 CM400T New bike... and introduction!

Here are the things that I have done to the bike in the last few weeks... It turns out, the thing runs pretty well so I dont need to dive into anything mechanical other than an oil change, and redoing the rear brake pedal. I will post pics of that soon, i need some help with that one.

Here is a pic of "The Barn". My favorite place where me and my friends tinker.

IMG_1417 by Amehl, on Flickr

IMG_1419 by Amehl, on Flickr

I took the front end apart and changed the handlebars. Along with that I lowered the front end. I am looking for a more sporty/cafe look and feel with the bike.

IMG_1444 by Amehl, on Flickr

New bars

IMG_1457 by Amehl, on Flickr

I had to get the gauges lower, so I found the aluminum spacers at work, I think I may need to go even lower :(

IMG_1460 by Amehl, on Flickr

IMG_1464 by Amehl, on Flickr

IMG_1462 by Amehl, on Flickr

I chopped and painted the fender as well...

IMG_1471 by Amehl, on Flickr

New front. Haven't tightened the bars yet.

IMG_1466 by Amehl, on Flickr

RE: Indiesol I am always looking for people to ride with! Let me know!

·
Registered
272 Posts
That front end looks a lot cleaner now. I like how the fender came out.

And, of course, "the barn" looks cool.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RATCOLLECTOR said:
I like those pipes the bike came with. if you are interested in selling please let me know.
The Kawasaki pipes? Yeah I want to get rid of them. Pm me your email so I can send some pics.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
No thoughts on the rearsets at the moment, but I would love to have a barn like you have for the bikes.
My garage comes complete with freezer, washing machine, tumble drier, assorted benches plus 2 bikes. Not a lot of room left, but hey it is what it is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am thinking about getting a set of universal rearsets and seeing if I can make a mount for them. Or I was thinking about slightly relocating the current passenger pegs and starting from scratch on the brake lever. I still need to find something that would work well for it. Idealy I would like to put in some bearings so it lever it tight and smooth. I'll look into it this weekend.

·
Registered
121 Posts
nice work on the rear sets. the bike is looking good.
I think I will pass on the exhaust, got out voted, my son prefered some turn outs he found on line.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Fast from the past has rearsets along with associated parts to make them work. You might be able to find some parts in there that will help, or you can check out their rear sets.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't know if it helps at all, but I've seen some bikes that have a retrofitted cable to operate the rear brake. The pic that I was looking for but couldn't find had the cable stay mounted to the same point where the bar mounts to the rear drum to keep it from rotating. This made it a bolt on conversion, completely reversible. (don't know how clear that is, but I don't know the terms so its hard to explain).
With the gear shift, I found this little orange guy. It seems like it would be a really simple and very cheap conversion, one that would be easy to fabricate.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok silver.... Do you have a build thread? Those rearsets look GREAT. Very close to what I want. How did you do it? Are those the stock pegs?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts