Honda Twins banner

Project 1983 CM450E

804 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  longdistancerider 
#1 ·
Some years ago I've bought a barnfind. I like the (hidden) looks of it.
When I bought it, the bike was running, but not stopping. Kept running after removing the key. Can't be a big problem and saved me some money.

The rebuild will take me a lt of time. For me it is a big project, so I divided it in lot's of small projects. Working on one or two at the time.
First I've made a quick sketch of the direction I like to build. See the attached Images. It's just a rough sketch.

What I've done so far.
- Sketching
- Re=ordering wiring, fusebox, etc,. All visible electrical items. I used half of the airbox to hide all that.
- Dissasambling and inspecting the motorcycle
- Frame is cut, welded and powder coated. It's now in my living room used a sculpture. I'm trying to get my wife used to a motorcycle in the living room. It worked with a bycicle. Is now a piece of art in the living room for some years now :)
- Carburators are cleaned and rebuild
- Forkseals replaced
- Engine inspected, valve celarance, washed and degreased. Ready for painting
- lot's of tiny thingies

Still have to do
- lot's of tiny and big thingies
- Cleaning and painting some small parts
- Wiring.
- New wheels
- Tank. Cleaning, sealing inside, removing paint, painting (two tone?)
- Fenders. prefferably from wood
- Custom solo seat. Although I have a beuatifull Biltwell seat, I'll try to make one myself, I can't find the one have in my head. I've allready made the seatpan, the leather, the foam and the Idea. What can go wrong? (-:
- and dozens of other projects

Wishlist if posssible
- I like to have bigger rims (front and back). Have to do some ressearch on that. I'll use the original hubs. If not possible, I do need new rims and spokes.
- I like to change the frontfork into a springer. I'll look into that after the build. I know what I want, I do not know if it is possible, regarding budget and motorcycle

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel
Motor vehicle Vehicle Engine Auto part Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like a fun project. This forum is such a great community for kudos and advice. Many experienced people have been helping me on my build but it sort of sounds like you have it all sused out. Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Time for an update in pictures. Still have a lot to do. Upcoming project is the wiring.

The solo seat.
I've made a solo seat from an old Horse-Saddle (similar one as the picture) and some pieces of metal I had laying around.
Headgear Table Ear Art
Rhinoceros beetle
Product Vehicle Furniture Metal
Bicycle saddle Bicycle part Bicycle Vehicle Rim

The Frame
It's cut, welded, sandblasted and powder coated. Some other parts have been powder coated as well. At swingarm some extra bolds for light and fender attachment are welded too
Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Tree Vehicle
Table Vehicle Bumper Plant Wheel
Leg

Carburator.
Those where really dirty. One adjustment screw I was not able to remove. I’m gambling it is ok. If not, I’ve a little challenge.
Auto part Automotive engine part Engine Machine Carburetor
Auto part
Electronics Machine

#4 ·
The tank
The tank was dented and rusted inside and outside. I removes the rust inside and epoxy coated it. Outside I removed the rust and paint and used filler for the dents. I painted the first colour. For striping and clearcoat I have to wait for warmer and less moisty days.
Fuel tank Fender Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Hand Auto part Helmet Fender
Orange Gas Vehicle

The engine
Lot’s of things done at the engine. Valve Clearance, Oil change, Clutch, oil cooler, cleaning, polishing, painting etc.
The one thing I didn’t do yet and want to do are checking the cilinders. I should have done that earlier, but I’m hestitated to do that job.
Engine Auto part Vehicle Technology Car
Room Cat Furniture Living room Interior design
Engine Machine Auto part Room Automotive engine part

Small technical question: What should be the tension of the chain? I think it is to much
Auto part Machine

Frontfork is also finished. Disassembled, cleaned, new seals and rubber, polished. I really like to have a black Springer Frontfork. For now they are way to expensive for me.
Currently I'm looking for new rims, I haven't decided yet regarding size. I like 21" front and back. I have to measure what is possible.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.