Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a call from my Dad the other evening saying he had a lead on an old 175, and wanted to know if I was interested. Needless to say, I explained to him how silly that question was and that he should let me know when we could go look at it. 10 minutes later I got another call from him saying "Let's go!", and in less than one hour from first word on the bike, it was sitting in my driveway!

So here she is, only $150 later. Its a 1970 SL175 KO with 5870 miles.

The bike apparently ran great a few years back, but no longer made spark. The guy tinkered with it a little bit, but stopped short of replacing the coil. He basically lost interest and just wanted it out of his garage.

First things first, I pulled off the carbs and gave them a good cleaning. New fuel line and plugs. The tank is like new inside with only a couple small dings, so no work needed there. Looks like he replaced the points, and the gap is right on. I pulled the coil and condenser off my 160 and plugged them in... BINGO! All kinds of spark! I quick like threw the tank on and in exactly 4 kicks, she was purring like a kitten! And I mean literally purring like a kitten. This thing is easily the best running bike I now own. The engine is really clean. I don't see a single drop of oil around any gaskets.

So the plan right now is to have some fun on it this summer as is, and do a restoration on it this winter. Things it needs right now are: air filters, coil, drive chain & rear sprocket (good lord, it's got a 52 toother!). It's gonna need a few things for a restoration. The front fender and fork boots are obviously not correct. Handlebars don't appear to be stock and are pitted. The seat has been recovered, but not in a good way. The frame has been painted black, from its original silver. The body has a poor rattle can paint job.

All in all it seems like I made a good investment. And i'll have something to do in my basement this winter!
:D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: New find! 1970 SL175 KO

Yes, a title and tabs for this year! I guess the guy was pretty confident that he'd get it running.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: New find! 1970 SL175 K0

The more research I do on these bikes the more I believe this K0 is kinda rare. I don't know, maybe i'm wrong. It's manufacture date is 02/70, yet the serial number is only 1002352. I'd say 90% of the photos I see (google and whatnot) are of K1 bikes, 1971-72. The K0 has a unique, smaller gas tank, a different exhaust guard, and the seat is mounted closer to the front (due to the smaller tank).

It would be fun to know how many they actually made.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts

WOw..... great buy, congratulations. Don

·
Registered
6,495 Posts

It was only made for two years, and your serial number indicates the first year of production.

As far as I know the only real differences were cosmetic........
But Steve is the expert on 175's, he'll chime in soon hopefully.

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts

CHIME!..... I can't say as to number produced either....Honda is reluctant to reveal this info......
It's definately a K0 with that serial though..... As far as Value, I believe it would cost as much (or more) than the restored bike would sell for to restore it to "showroom" condition.... Were it up to me, I'd give it a complete "tune-up", and ride the HECK out of it.......and enjoy......
:D Steve

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Oh yeah, i'm gonna enjoy it!

I figure I can powdercoat the frame and paint it for $500, maybe have a grand into the bike total and have a real beauty.

... then I won't wanna ride it!
:lol:

·
Registered
163 Posts

My very first bike was a '72 SL70. I was 12 and worked all summer and fall for my Dad taking care of the farm after he had back surgery and he promised to buy me a motorcycle when he got back on his feet..(It took a LOT longer to recover back then)
My cousins had ATC 90's and a Trail 70 that was slow as molassas. I really didnt like the Trail 70 and I wanted something nicer and something that that they didnt have (their Dad always was buying them neat stuff to ride and I had to always tag along with them).

Dad and I went over to the local Honda dealer (just a local guy out in the country with a pole barn that sold and serviced Honda's back then) and told him what I was wanting,"something faster thana Trail 70" I said "and more like a real motorcycle!",and he said he had just the bike. ;)
Took me in the back of the pole barn and here sat about 4-5 SL70's still in the crates and he asked me what color I wanted Red or Blue. :shock: :shock:

RED of course!! He said come back in 2 hours (BOY that seemed like a LOOONG time) and he had her all ready to go. :shock: :cool: WOW!! I was in love!! In fact it didnt look much different than your 175 overall looks wise.
That dude was faaast and rode trails like a dream ,and best of all..my cousins were jealous and always wanted to ride it. NOPE!!LOL :lol: :lol:

Man! I rode the wheels of that bike for 4 years, it only left me down once and that was because the spark plug was plumb worn out. At 16 I traded her off on my first road bike ....a two yr. old '74 Gold and Black CB 450! ;)

Those SL's will ALWAYS hold a special place in my heart though. :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts

trublu said:
That dude was faaast and rode trails like a dream ,and best of all..my cousins were jealous and always wanted to ride it. NOPE!!LOL :lol: :lol:

a '74 Gold and Black CB 450! ;)
That's GREAT! NOPE! :lol: :lol: Sounds like me when I was little too..

You mean like mine??

Unfortunately it looks nothing like that now and never will again.. Maybe someday it'll be finished. :oops: :cry:

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
163 Posts

Bird76Mojo said:
trublu said:

a '74 Gold and Black CB 450! ;)
That's GREAT! NOPE! :lol: :lol: Sounds like me when I was little too..

You mean like mine??

Unfortunately it looks nothing like that now and never will again.. Maybe someday it'll be finished. :oops: :cry:

AWWW GB!! :cool: BEAUTY!! And what memories that brings back. I must admit the mind does play tricks on me after all those years, because after looking thru paint color options for the CB450 I had to have had a '71 K4 CB450 ,as it appears that is the only year Honda offered that Candy Gold color that mine was. :oops: :oops: Somehow or other I had in my head it was '74. Sorry about the mistake with the year...the mind ya know?? :lol: :lol:

Looked just like yours (except for the Maxim Brown?? paint) though so there must not have been many changes other than color ;) Oh, mine didnt have the grab bar behind the seat either so there is one difference at least.

Man I put a LOT of miles on that 450 , some were HAAARD miles too.I was 16 ya know LOLOL :lol: :lol: I religiously maintained her though and She never let me down. :cool: :cool:

PS sorry Minnesota, I apologize for the hijack here. I do love those SL's and youve got a good one there!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts

Hello group...my name is Lee...and I'm a [thread] jack-o-holic...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Project: 1970 SL175 KO

Howdy, all! It's been a full winter of procrastinating and sitting on the couch, but spring is here and it's time to get this old girl on the pavement. I've been working on it now for a few weeks and am finally getting a chance to update the thread.

Ahhhh, the joys of not having a heated garage in MN-- motorcycles in the basement! I guess this is the reason I put off these "winter" projects.

The front end of the bike had been wrecked at some point in its life, and I knew this going in. The PO showed me the kink in the frame before I bought it but I figured eh, a $150 bike is a $150 bike. I put over 100 miles on it last fall and it rides and drives great.

Early warm up and our snow was gone in a week so it's back outside! These old bikes (among other things) look so good naked... ;) All of that black stuff you see is supposed to be silver on the SL. Not sure what they were thinking when they rebuilt her. :?

Handlebars, front fender, fork boots were all incorrectly replaced so I had to shop for originals. Top motor mount was broken and repaired so I had to replace that as well. Here you can see where they repaired a steering stop...

I did the rest of the tear down in an evening and spent the rest of the week stripping the frame, swingarm, and other assorted parts that were destined to be silver. Off to the paint shop....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Project: 1970 SL175 UPDATE!

Bird76Mojo said:
Are you going to try to repair that frame??

I'm not sure of the extent of the damages, but it is obvious that a PO did considerable work to the front of the frame. From the miles I put on last season I couldn't detect any problems or quirks with the ride, so on a small bike like this, i'm calling it good enough.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Project: 1970 SL175 UPDATE!

Silver painted goodies are done! I love how the silver frame looks on the SL's. I can't figure out what prompted a PO to paint the thing black when they had it apart. I also painted the fork legs silver instead of going the polished route.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Project: 1970 SL175 Back to work!

I love new goodies!

Coming together...

She's a roller!

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Re: Project: 1970 SL175 Back to work!

Awesome stuff mate, must feel great to see results!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts