Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I was looking at getting Progressive Suspension 12 series rear shocks for my CL350. Their websites suggests I get their 13" version but reading online it seems like stock is 12.5" and it looks like they do make a 12.5" version. Any idea why it recommends a longer shock? Thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you put the longer shock on the bike will lean excessively on the side stand. I have no idea why they recommend it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Shock length is not the only criteria to search for. The progressive suspension shock may compress more as you sit on it. To have about the same handling as stock with replacement shocks, the more important value is comparing the length of compressed stock shocks as you sit on the bike, and the compressed length of the replacement shocks.

More tightly wound springs of thinner diameter compress more easily. Springs with less wounds and the same length, and of larger diameter, will not compress as easily. Progressive springs are usually of the same diameter, but the part with more wounds compresses easily, and the less wound part is stiffer.

Personally, I'd either rebuild the stock shocks (if possible), or go for the cheaper option. A 0.5 inch change is not likely to cause any major handling difference. If you are a heavier person, or tour with a lot of luggage, or ride a passenger, it'd perhaps be better to get the longer shocks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to mention that the site also says "Model Notes: The shock recommended is slightly longer than stock. This may alter the head angle slightly and give somewhat quicker steering. Extended clearances should be checked as well."

They're about $280 for the pair. What cheaper option do you suggest?
Thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I forgot to mention that the site also says "Model Notes: The shock recommended is slightly longer than stock. This may alter the head angle slightly and give somewhat quicker steering. Extended clearances should be checked as well."

They're about $280 for the pair. What cheaper option do you suggest?
Thanks!
Plenty of cheaper options, check ebay, 4into1, dime city, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts