Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So today i decided to take out my '71 CB175. I take it down the alley and out of nowhere while shifting up into 2nd, the shift lever just stays there, it doesn't return to the center position. Same for when i shifted down to 1st, it just stayed in the down position, i tried getting it into neutral but it will barely go in, and wont go past 2nd. I have no idea what could be the problem here, one of my buddies pointed out that there was a grease fitting on the shifter side of the bike and it may need to be regreased, I'm going to try that tomorrow, any insight on that or what else could be the culprit would be great thanks!

I've uploaded pictures, the top is where it should always be, the second is after i shift up and the third picture is when i shift down.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
The shift linkage on the rearset is probably too tight, and hanging it up. Try loosening the bolts, and see if it frees up.
TOOLS

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok sorry I didn't get back sooner, got busy and didn't have time for the bike. But I tried the WD40 and loosening the bolts and it didn't seem to work, my buddy thinks it may be the gearshift return spring, I found one online and ordered it. I'm wondering if it's a hard part to replace myself or would you suggest bringing the bike in to get it done?

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
It will be located on the opposite side from the shifter arm behind the engine cover. You may have to remove the engine to do this job, as it is a bike I am not so familiar with I can't give a definite on this one. However it is not difficult and you should be able to do this without much difficulty. Remember there are many people here that can help. :)

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
To me it APPEARS that the linkage and pedal itself is what is binding.....
Why the rubber on the pedal pivot?
Why the extreme angle on the linkage rod?
You could turn the shaft-end arm around backwards so it is a more direct path, AND mount it to the outside on the pedal arm....
Less angle is less possibility of binding.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You may have to remove the engine to do this job
I sure hope not, I'm not too familiar with working on bikes aside from some electrical and oil changes, this will be my first real go at it, but if i have to remove the engine that seems a bit intimidating lol. When you say the "opposite side" do you mean on the other side of the bike/engine or just across from where it is on the same side?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
To me it APPEARS that the linkage and pedal itself is what is binding.....
Why the rubber on the pedal pivot?
Why the extreme angle on the linkage rod?
You could turn the shaft-end arm around backwards so it is a more direct path, AND mount it to the outside on the pedal arm....
Less angle is less possibility of binding.....
This is how it was since i bought it, I did none of the linkage/rearset work myself. The rear sets are off of a GSXR, so I'm assuming the rubber is there because thats just how they came.
I wasn't aware it was at an extreme angle, i could try messing around with it today and see if i can get a better set angle on it.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
You want the linkage rod to be closer to parallel with the pipe than angled across it as it appears to be.....All the joints must move freely with slight pressure, they "look" like the bolts in the heim joints are holding the joints too close to pivot easily, and the rod angle (diagonal to the header pipe) is causing the binding.....I'd at least move the rearmost joint outboard of the pedal instead of inboard....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Alright i took your advice and it seems you were right 66Sprint! the actual plate that the rear set is attached to was bent so that was causing the shifter to not pop back into center, i hammered it straight and lubed it up and popped it back on and it moves nice and smooth and goes right back to where its supposed to... now i ran into a semi related problem, i got on the bike turned it on and tried to run it through the gears goes into first like butter, but i go to shift into second and the lever has too much throw in it or something because it goes way up and doesn't go into gear. Do you think it can be what you stated above i.e.:the linkage angled too much? Maybe a new set of rear sets would suffice?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts