Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after having split my cases to replace a couple worn transmission parts in an attempt to fix the 2nd gear shift problem, i'm having trouble getting the clutch plates tightened back down on the springs. Im fairly new to all this so any advice is helpful and i sure hope i didn't install something in the tranny incorrectly now that i've permatex sealed the cases back together and mounted the engine back on the frame but heres my problem:

when tightening the 4 bolts on the springs of the clutch i reach a point where i cant compress the springs any further because the inner part of the clutch hub starts turning with the wrench. I thought if i mounted the engine and hooked up the chain i could hold the wheel to prevent it from turning but that isn't working. I just don't remember having this problem in the past or when removing it initially.
when i try to figure out logically why this is happening, it seems to me the clutch center shouldn't be causing the wheel to turn, shouldn't the wheel only be moving if the outer clutch (primary drive gear) is turning?

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
You will notice there are splines on the inside of the inner hub and the pressure plate..... It is possible to align all the plates and the spring guides but these splines will "sit on" rather than insert into each other.....The spring bolts and columns can be broken if the assembly is completed like this....
As to your logic, the primary gear and outer hub connect the crankshaft to the transmission (through the inner hub) only when the plates are engaged (fully compressed together)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow youre so right! Thanks for the quick reply, i wish i would have waited 5 more minutes before trying to force it because as you predicted i just broke one of the bolts. Luckily i have an extra clutch to take parts from...i gotta make horrible mistakes to learn i guess.

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts