Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

Picked up a cb160 that came with a partially disassembled engine (that apparently had crank issues) in order to make one running bike out if it and my very rough parts bike I had originally.

Anyway, the engine has the cases assembled as well as the clutch and oil filter. What I noticed earlier is that the primary gears don't seem to fit on the spline of the crank that is in there. I'll take a pic tomorrow.

What I know:

- I tested both the set of gears that came with this engine and the ones that came out of my original engine, neither fit (both fit on my rusty crank within two seconds of fiddling).

- The crank rods fit cb160 pistons so it can't be a cb200 crank since those have different wrist pin size.

- The clutch gear teeth alternate (are staggered) on the one in the engine (didn't check my original)

- Engine case has a 160 serial number

Questions:
Which 175/160 variant could a crank with a different spline have come from?

Would different primary gears or a new clutch basket solve this or should i just spend 100$ on a used crankshaft (after splitting the cases and seeing what is actually in there)

Is the cl/cb175 crankshaft different in any way than the cb/cl160 crank (all the bearings/rods/weights seem to be the same part numbers on cmsnl and I'm fairly certain stroke is the same)

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Alright here's the pictures

Mystery crank: You can clearly see the primary gear indents are not big enough for the crank spline. You can also see the staggering of the clutch gears.
Gear Auto part Rotor Metalworking Tool accessory

Known cb160 crank: If you look closely you can see the spline size is the same size as the indent in the primary gear, and the gear slips right on.
Bicycle part Gear Auto part Wheel Hardware accessory

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking at cb200 primary gears on ebay they wouldn't fit this crank either. The other thing is the only cd175 cranks I see on ebay locally are from early 70s with the same non simplex splines. I'm going to guess there's a difference between 175 and 160 splines as the ones on ebay look to be spaced 50/50 indent/non indent while the 160 ones above are more like 40/60 indent/non indent. If so the question becomes is the 175 clutch basket the same as the 160.

Interested to hear what Simo has to say.

·
Premium Member
3,047 Posts
I'm probably over thinking this, and all you need is a set of 175 duplex primary gears.

Here's a couple of photos of my 175 crank ends,

Auto part Rotor Gear Engine Automotive starter motor Auto part Gear Metal Hardware accessory Clutch Auto part Metal Gear Hardware accessory Locking hubs

and one of my Cb200 crank.

Auto part Disc brake Bicycle part Automotive wheel system Wheel

·
Premium Member
3,047 Posts
Cb175 clutch basket.

Auto part Engine Metal Disc brake Clutch

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the pictures, those confirm what we're thinking: definitely not a cb200, almost definitely a cb/cl175. The part number on cmsnl is different for 160 vs 175 primary gears as well.

Hopefully it's as simple as a set of 175 primary gears, that would be a great fix for 15$

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Got the gears today and they fit on the shaft so all our ideas were correct and it seems like they fit just fine with the cb160 clutch basket as well.

Only problem now is that only one goes on at a time due to offset of the gears on the clutch basket which is already installed (clutch basket/oil pump are supposed to go on after the first primary gear then the second one goes on after the clutch basket). If I don't update assume that they're fine after removing/reinstalling the clutch basket/oil pump in the correct order.

Update: You also need a 175 oil rotor for a 175 crank to work in a cb160 engine

1 - 11 of 11 Posts