Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I needed to do some clutch work on my CL360 project. While cleaning up the primary cover I was checking the components on the cover. The part in the photo looks like it should be a bearing, however it doesn’t rotate, so is it a bushing? Thanks for all replies.

5091C6D1-EC74-4EB9-9D77-D5109D298FB1.jpg

·
Registered
554 Posts
Mine doesn't turn either, so I guess it'd probably be a bushing. It's non-replaceable though (or I'm not sure you'd ever need/want to replace it); it seats against the outlet in the center of the oil pump gear (part #10 here: https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb360-sport-1974-usa_model1007/partslist/E++11.html#results). If you're looking at the side of your engine, it's the flat gear below the slinger.

Edit:
I also can't find that part available anywhere, or even named - it's an integral part of the cover, so replacing it would probably just entail replacing the cover. Is there any reason you're worried about it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spirograph, I guess it’s a bushing, and you are correct, I couldn’t find it in the parts drawing(s) either.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I can say that having rebuilt my 360 twice, I’ve never touched it, and so far there have been no obvious fires stemming from my failure to replace it :D

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
Its a support for the oil pump idler gear shaft. Oil from the pump travels through the idler shaft, into the case cover. That bushing is a support and an oil seal. Look at the location on the cover, than the motor. It becomes more obvious. That shaft does not spin with the gear, so that bushing receives minimum wear.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mydly, thanks for the reply. I knew it was part of the oil distribution, similar to the timing gear cover on British built bikes. It just looked like a sealed bearing, it doesn’t rotate, and I couldn’t find it in the parts diagram. Most likely it is included as part of the cover, that’s why it is not listed in the parts diagram. Glad I didn’t try to pull it out, thinking it was a seazed bearing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts