Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying this but seems to much. Bike is ready to go. This guy owns a shop and restores and sells them. Right now I have no reason to believe it’s not in tip top shape. Just think it’s too much.
What do you guys think? 68 CL77 350 Asking 6000

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Well it sure is a beauty. I do find the price a little high, but it is probably the going rate for
a nice restored bike.
I always believe that if you really want something, it is okay to overpay a bit.
Otherwise someone else will be walking away with it.
Offer him 5 and he will probably counter with 5.5
Good luck

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a little of what he says about it. I’m a novice so don’t really know.

Rare 1 or 200 factory repaint in orange by Honda to move last of stock after the release of the Honda 350. Gorgeous original paint

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Yikes that is a lot, but this guy must know that there are people that won't blink at paying that much money for a tip top restored bike. That is more than I paid for all 3 of my bikes combined...

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I'm not sure I believe the story of the color... during the 305 era, most if not all colors were not candy, they were solid colors. We know Honda did some limited availability stuff, like the Red Dragon and the red-framed CL77s, but someone here with better knowledge of the period would have to confirm the copper/orange color on this bike as being a limited-availability thing from Honda for the CL77 as I never saw or heard of it. Does look nice though... as for price, I think it's a bit high too but God bless him if he sells them in that range because you know he has a lot of work in it

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
The last run of the 305 scramblers were like that, chrome fenders and candy colored paint. They came in orange, blue and silver(I bought a blue one that year), as far as I know the frames were all black. Gas tanks had a visible seam down the center and the gas crossover line was eliminated that year. Rubber covered driver's foot pegs instead of the all steel previous ones. One year of production but hardly "rare, limited production". Looks like a nice survivor example, some wear showing but overall quite nice.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation Mike - good to know. The bike does look damn nice. The CL77 has only one entry in the ID Guide, covering all years and with no mention of the frame colors or the last run of tank colors, or the exhaust differences either

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I agree with ctrider its worth what you are willing to pay for it. In my neck of the woods it wouldnt sell ,people just dont have the money. If your really interested I would walk in with a pocket full of cash and start low and see where it goes.

Bill

·
Registered
44 Posts
Over the years I have seen the candied orange color scheme that the owners claim is OEM. I don’t doubt that it’s true, just as the description says, “ rare” in color. Is it true as your post says, it’s a CL77 “350”, or was that a typo?
For 6K it’s priced right under “concourse” and above “excellent” condition. Have you seen this bike in person?
Take a look at “smartcycleguide.com” and see just how wildly the asking prices can range.

·
Registered
44 Posts
LGR-
Man it’s your choice. Iffin it were me...I’d hold on, spend less for a mostly complete runner, and put plenty of elbow grease into it getting to know the bike, and riding at the same time. But I suppose I’m the project oriented type.
It won’t be long before you let us know what you decided...right?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
From the pic, looks like he has quite a few bikes there... if it is [email protected]@@@" he says it is, is it to high? Buying a "rare" option bike/car is one of those "what do you plan on doing with it? Re-sell? Ride, collect? If ur looking at re-sell/collect..what is the market bearing? Ride?, I'm sure u can find a good (may not be as pretty), solid, reliable bike at a reasonable price..
If it is "rare, riding it may deminish its value. Plus if ur an inexperienced rider, do u want to chance riding it?

·
Banned
854 Posts
LGR-
Man it’s your choice. Iffin it were me...I’d hold on, spend less for a mostly complete runner, and put plenty of elbow grease into it getting to know the bike, and riding at the same time. But I suppose I’m the project oriented type.
It won’t be long before you let us know what you decided...right?
You summed it up pretty good. Most of us forum members work on our own bikes whether its just keeping them on the road, customizing or complete restorations. Spending 6k on a already restored bike probably isn't something most of us would be in the market for but that doesn't mean it's overpriced.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
the only thing I could add to that would be, for that price, I'd have to scrutinize the bike in person - thoroughly. pictures don't tell nearly enough of the story when that kind of dollars are involved, so unless someone lived near it and could go see it in person...

·
Banned
854 Posts
Very true Tom, I didn't mention that because unlike you I'm simply not qualified to judge if that is a fair price or not.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Well, it would still be a lot of looking and evaluating for someone like me, because that is a lot of cash to put down while trusting that all is well and it's ready to provide some long-term rewards for a purchase of that magnitude... different when you've done the work and know the condition of every part, having seen it all yourself personally. Just look at f100owner and what he's been through for buying a bike that was advertised as a survivor and ready to ride... and after paying premium dollars for it, he's already (self-admitted) spent close to $2000 on it and it's still apart

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I have not seen it in person. It is the correct model and year I posted. I Don’t have to buy it. I do want a 350 of that era. It would be a rider not a museum piece. I have two cb 175 I’m working on now. So I would be open to something that may need som TLC. I may take a ride to his shop and look for myself. As far as the pocket full of cash I think I could walk away if he wouldn’t accept 4500. As stated it’s only worth what someone pays. I’ll keep you all posted as to what happens.
Thanks again
LGR

·
Registered
412 Posts
Just saying - I have that much or a little more in my 68 CL350 I acquired about 1.5 months ago or more for $4300. It was "ready to ride." Now some of my purchases were not necessary. Still my bike has yet to be ridden by me.
Spend it upfront or spend it over time (at least in my case).

Reactions: Rob Axel

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
In 1968, Honda called them a CL300. In addition to the black frames, chrome fenders, and candy color tanks and side covers, they also had the larger oval 1968 tail light. I've seen a few of them at the Barber Vintage Festival over the years, all orange.

P1020556.JPG

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Actually, the CL300 was a domestic model, some discussion about it here: Honda305.com Forum :: View topic - Newbie needs the skinny on CL300 Vs CL77
Back when we sold the CL77s new they were referred to as "300 scramblers", that adds to the confusion nowadays. That one in that picture is a CL77 it doesn't have the heel/toe shifter or the turn signals like the CL300. It does have proper length rear heat shield on the exhaust that is missing on the "restored" bike in the first post.

Reactions: ancientdad
1 - 20 of 32 Posts