Honda Twins banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went about rebuilding my head today, and when I was installing the valve lifters on the tube that contains the torsion bar, I put them on the way they were when I got the bike. I went to put in the torsion bars and realized that putting tension on them the way I had them aligned would force the valves open instead of holding them closed. Then I realized that the way they were installed the wear surface wouldn't even come into contact with anything. I took them out and pulled the lifters off the tubes and turned them around put them on with the wear surface facing up this time, and wouldn't you know it the torsion bars held the valves closed this time. I drew a thing so you can understand it better.

I didn't have the valve installed when I did this, I just included it in the drawing for reference.

When I bought the bike, it ran! Not the best mind you, the compression was awful, the valve seats were torn up, and the valves and guides were shot, but it ran none the less. Whoever owned this bike before me really did a number on it. A piece of the wire harness came off so they used plumbing solder to splice in a new piece. It broke off when I took the harness off the frame. I also found part of a feeler gauge inside one of the sprockets in the head. My guess on that one is that someone tried to check the valves while it was running and it got pulled out of their hand.

Can homers be given to people who don't own the bike anymore?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Sounds like your bike is in good hands now. Keep us posted on you rprogrss. We like photos.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts