Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a rainy part of the country and while I do my best to keep my 350 covered, occasionally water will get in. I started getting it prepped for riding season today and I noticed some rust had formed between the ignition coil and its mount, as well as on the frame where the coil mount sits. When I installed the new coils I grinded away the patina and rust on this part of the frame so that the coils can ground out. As I understand it, this part of the frame is kept bare for this reason, as paint or a powder coat would prevent grounding to the frame. Is there anything I can do to prevent rust from forming in these places aside from keeping it away from moisture in the first place? I would love to put on a conductive clear coat or something but I don't know if such a product exists. If I do this every year I'm going to run out of metal!

Thanks so much for any help. You guys helped me enormously when I built this bike a couple years ago.

IMG_1717.jpg

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
The best product for this that I've ever heard of, there was a SOHC4 member that always used to recommend it. If you have True-Value hardware stores in your area they can order it for you, its upwards of $10/can, but it works like few others.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The best product for this that I've ever heard of, there was a SOHC4 member that always used to recommend it. If you have True-Value hardware stores in your area they can order it for you, its upwards of $10/can, but it works like few others.

Wow, this stuff sounds incredible. Thank you!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I wouldn't scrape any paint. Using the frame as a common ground point is a poor practice, paint, corrosion and loose bolts can cause a lot of problems. Better yet to put a ground wire between the coil mounting bolts and the upper motor mount.

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
Actually, the main harness should have a green wire with a ring terminal for the coil mount ground......

IF not, there is an unused green wire with a female spade connector hanging beside the flasher module you can use/connect to....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts