Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past couple weeks my bike has been having a rough time getting going in the morning. Bogging down, sputtering, backfiring, and acting like its running out of fuel. But it wouod run alright after it warmed up. Day before yesterday it bacame an all day affair. It ran fine for most of the day, then started sputtering and bitching again. I barely made it home.
Since I already had the stuff to give my carbs a thorough cleaning, I did the job and put the carbs back on today. Still the same problem. Barely idles. Idle's all over the place, and bogs down when I try to give it throttle. Also would only start with the kickstart. It just turns and turns on the electric start.
Per Boomer343's suggestion, I checked voltage at the battery and found 12.7 volts. With the ignition on I found the wire leading to the left point to be at 11.9, and the right side to be at 0.2.
I'm assuming this is a bad coil, but I'm not sure if there are any other factors that would contribute to low voltage on the left side, or if 11.9 is even an acceptable level.

It looks like universal coils are a hell of a lot cheaper than OE, and I would prefer to replace the pair. My question is, what should I expect to modify by going with universal coils? Are there other parts I should plan to purchase with them? Thanks again for your wealth of knowledge. I couldn't have done any of this without the help of this group.

Sent from my SM-T337T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Likely the right side points were closed when you read the voltage. You need to disconnect the wires that go from the coils to the points then check the voltage at the coils.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Likely the right side points were closed when you read the voltage. You need to disconnect the wires that go from the coils to the points then check the voltage at the coils.
You are absolutely correct. Both sides read at 12.7 after I dosconnected the points.
Hooray! I don't need new coils! But... dammit. Now what?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like it needs the timing checked. They are finicky about that.
So finicky! I had a similar problem a few months ago where my right cylinder wasn't firing. I reset my cam chain tensioner, adjusted valve clearance, and set the timing. Nothing fixed it until I sprayed some carb cleaner down the intake whike it was running. That's what led me to believe I needed to clean my carbs.
I ordered new points last week, they should be here soon. I'll be sure to reset the timing when they arrive.
In the mean time I'll get myself another bottle of carb cleaner and see if I can track down any vacuum leaks.
Any other ideas or solutions?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
With the points closed(grounded) you should have zero voltage measured between the points wire and ground, sounds like you need to clean the points.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like points were the culprit. Got my new ones on today and set the timing. Fired up with just a bump of the starter.
Thanks for all the help, folks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts