Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I attended this two day event on both days. Rather damp, UK monsoon season still in full swing, although the sun did come out a few times.

Allen Millyard was there with his bikes, including the 'Honda' six cylinder bike, which he fired up.

Now, I thought folks were exaggerating when they said how loud this thing is. They weren't :eek:

It cause me actual physical pain in my ears, only ran it for 4 second blip of the throttle. And my hearing isn't particularly acute, and I was standing at right angles to the bike, goodness knows what it must have sounded like to folks directly behind the open megaphones !

P1120630.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Is that Millyard in the leather jacket with his back to the camera? His work is incredible, that 6 looks fabulous even if it is loud! and I'll bet the loudness is heavenly while riding (earplugs in, of course)

·
Registered
309 Posts
I follow his channel on YouTube. Everything he builds is incredible! I think my two favorites are the "v-twin" Honda SS100cc that he built out of two 50cc engines. That and the "Flying Millyard" 5L V-twin torque monster.

I envy his creativity and mechanical genius!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that Millyard in the leather jacket with his back to the camera? His work is incredible, that 6 looks fabulous even if it is loud! and I'll bet the loudness is heavenly while riding (earplugs in, of course)
Yes, that's him.

He is now a regular contributor to Classic Motorcycle Mechanics, and has written up the 'Honda' 6 build in a series of articles. Two four cylinder Yamaha engines were sawn up and welded together to make the six cylinder engine. In a recent episode, he admitted that the bike was too loud to be run on some track days, and described building some glass pack baffles, which as well as quieting it down actually made the engine run better.

I saw the SS100 V twin running a couple of years back. You'd swear that it had come straight out of the Honda factory if you didn't know better, the fit and finish is so good.

20160417_131025.jpg

·
Registered
309 Posts
Absolutely love that bike! I put "v-twin" in quotes because it's more of an L-twin like a Ducati in terms of the engine layout. The few videos of it on YouTube sound awesome! I kind of wish that Honda would take Mr. Millyard's creation as an impetus and design a street - legal version of a 100cc L or V twin for mass production.

Obviously it would be a niche market bike here in the states, but based on the license restrictions regulations on motorcycles/ learners plates/permits overseas, I feel like it would be a good selling bike overall. For an around-town/ short commuter bike, it would be just about perfect IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts