Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks back, I was coming home from a night of screen-printing when my front tire blew out on the highway.

I was going about 60.

I tried to ease on the rear brakes a bit, but I felt it fish tailing. So as the bike slowed from engine brake, the handlebars started bucking and I made the choice to bail. I pushed the bike to the left of me, hopped off and landed on my ass and elbow. I slid about 40 feet and tumbled a bit before coming to a stop. I feel like more than a decade of skateboarding conditioned me to bailing on asphalt. It was like the fastest, hardest slam I’ve ever had.

Needless to say, the bike got the worst of it.

Pictures attached.

First pic is before the accident.

So... It starts right up!

I don’t hear any out of place noises and I’ve been given so many lowballed offers that I’ve decided to fix it myself and get back on it. Before the spill, I planned on keeping it OG, but since our “bonding experience”, I’ve decided to chop her up a little bit.

So far I’ve purchased:

Replacement shift lever
Replacement left foot peg
Aftermarket Integrated LED brake light/signal assembly
NEW FATTER TIRES AND TUBES
aftermarket LED headlight w/ mesh wire grill.

Everything chrome with rashes or pitting is getting a flat black treatment.

Might Plastidip the rims black.

Hopefully the front rim is still true.

I’ll use this thread to track my progress, and since there are some serious gurus on here, hopefully I can gain some insight along the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
So you're fairly ok? What gear were you wearing?
Post up a list of parts needed and I'll see what I can offer.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Bummer... sorry to hear it, glad you're okay. Never had a flat front tire (*knocks on wood*) but had a couple of rears, one at interstate speed and came out okay. Bike definitely got the worst of it, too bad you couldn't have gotten it into the grass before bailing but you have to do what is presented to you. Not sure the fatter tires are a better choice for handling...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No gear.
I was wearing hoodie over flannel and some heavy jeans. Helmet as well. That being said, my little cloth pineapple wallet quite literally saved my ass! I slapped the ground with my right fingertips, and slid on my side a bit before I came to a stop. my wrist caught the deepest rash and my elbow was stiff for a few weeks.

Like I said, I skateboarded for a long time, so that’s where my instincts went. I laughed hysterically after I wiggled my fingers and toes and did a “damage assessment”.

It was actually pretty rad, having come out the other end with such luck.

I’ll post an update and parts list when I get it stripped down more.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Good to hear you had such luck, not everyone has.
People have lost balance while reaching for the kickstand and broken legs...

If you ever read the term ATGATT it means
All The Gear All The Time, and not wearing less gear when you perceive threat level to be lower.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Glad you're on the mend and the damage was minimal to you and the bike. It's always a question of when will you go down not if. Most of us have been there at some point in time. Nothing quite like laying on the road wiggling fingers and toes to bring enjoyment when they all work.
Have you determined the cause of the front tire failure? Picture looks like there's plenty of tread.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The tube must have been pinched. I didn’t see a hole anywhere. I bought a moto lift, but it wouldn’t fit under the bike, so today I used a cherry picker with a strap to lift the front end up to get the wheel off. Couldn’t find the tools to get the tire off in the garage. I’ll take the tire off this morning and start cleaning up the rim. I looked inside the front drum and found half clean grease and half grimy grease... new bearings wouldn’t hurt right?

Also, I’m thinking anything chrome with a deep rash is getting painted with Rhino bed liner. lol.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Speedo drives always look that way, only dirty grease by the pinion drive. I'd definitely replace wheel bearings if you didn't do that when you bought the bike. Every bike I buy automatically gets new bearings and brake linings, experience can be a harsh teacher.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I bought Tires the rims. Shinko Tour Masters a 110 on the front and a 130 on the back. Getting them swapped out and then I’ll slap them back on the bike with new front and rear bearings and a new chain.

I’ve got the replacement foot peg and shift levers, as well as an LED taillight/signal set...

Now where I’m stuck, I need an led headlight adapter.

Anyone know where to get one or should I just re wrap them and use bullet clips?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts