Honda Twins banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wish me luck, I am going to look at a 1970 CL450 today at lunch. I have wanted one for a while now and this one looks to be nice. Kind of excited.
Don :)

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it. I have to post some pics I took of it later though since I lost the cable to download my camera to the computer. Bike looks pretty good. It ran but not good. I found the timing was way off, one of the floats was set wrong, and the carbs were way out of synch. I got it running strong on both cylinders and idling good. It still has some issue since it seems to be loading up a bit while trying to run at a constant speed. The battery is dead though so I am going to let it charge over night before I do anymore to it. I know it will run good with a bit more tweaking. This thing sounds AWESOME !! I forgot how cool 450 scramblers sound. My CL350 sounds good too but the 450 has a bit more bark to it. Need to get some handlebars and standard cables to replace the ape hangers but other than that it is in real nice original condition. Very nice muffler, nice fenders and wheels, one small dent in the tank, headlight bucket is faded some. It will make a cool daily rider.
Don

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here it is, I havent paid this much for a Vintage bike in a long time. I always buy other peoples junk for pocket money but I really wanted one of these. A CL450 was my first bike ever. It was actually a 71 and gold but I just have not been able to find that bike. This one is a 70. Pretty nice shape and didnt take much to get it to run pretty good. Got to get rid of the ape hangers though. The previous owner said he would pick up the original bars and cables from his Grandfathers house and I am going to get them next week. It will need a new seat cover and probably a new foam as well. Other than that I am going to ride it for awhile and maybe do a real good clean up this winter. I may have to repaint the headlight bucket since it is faded pretty bad.
Don

Attachments

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Nice one - wish we could see more of them over here in UK.
Anybody want to ship over a container load?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Nice :!:

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those handlebars are really bad. They are too high and too close together. Really strange when you are trying to ride it. I hope to get the title fixed tomorrow. I am also supposed to get the stock bars and cables from the guy I bought it from. Cany wait to ride it.
Don

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the bars and cables today. The P.O. had the old bars that will need to be cleaned up but will do for now. He had the throttle and brake cables and I picked up a clutch cable at Western Hills Honda so I am good to go for tonight and getting it ready to ride. I even have the title done and the insurance on it.
I think I might be a bit excited to ride it. :)
How can a 58 year old man be this goofy over an old motorcycle?
Don

·
Registered
32 Posts
hey,nice bike.i may have a complete set of gold/black pieces for that bike overhead in my shop.i repainted them for a guy and never heard from him again and it's been couple of years,but if interested will go up and look.was all wrapped and boxed prior to going up top(gas tank,side covers,headlightbucket with ears).i have old receipt of balance owed.if interested you can have for what he owes($185.00 plus shipping)let me know.tim

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
tjwsuperxracer if you're going to be offering up items here for sale then please do us a favor and put a name and location in your profile.. We'd all appreciate it and some of us just prefer a real name.. ;)

Tips here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3797

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
357 Posts
dlslick said:
How can a 58 year old man be this goofy over an old motorcycle?
Don
I would have guessed you were closer to 50 :shock:

My philosophy is, tinkering with these old bikes is what keeps us young. (Hasn't helped my gray hair or wrinkles, but when I'm on one of my old bikes, it's 1976 all over again.) :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Brown Bomber said:
My philosophy is, tinkering with these old bikes is what keeps us young. (Hasn't helped my gray hair or wrinkles, but when I'm on one of my old bikes, it's 1976 all over again.) :cool:
Totally agree with you here. My father is 83 and does more in the run of a day than most men half his age. When he helps me with something at my house, I can't keep up with him :D I firmly believe its because he is always active and doing something. He doesn't do anything with bikes but he's always building or fixing something. He just recently built a big shed in his backyard. He has no need for it but just built it for something to do, keeps him young. I have different interests than him, but I always try to be tinkering with something in the garage. Sure beats watching TV. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts