Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back a member here sent me a old 4 tube manometer.. it had just enough mercury to use it on a fuel carb set up... I don't have a 4 so it is no issue. I have heard mercury can be had if you know say.. a high school science teacher.. but some people may not have that luxuary..
Recently I was at a HVAC supply house to purchase filters.. and what to my wondering eyes did appear????
A box.. with the words "recycle your old thermostat".. MERCURY thermostat..
I spoke With the guy behind the counter, informed him of my need for that magical silver liquid... he said "take what you need".. I grabbed a couple and headed out giggling like a mad scientist ..
Gonna do some research before I crack these viles open and add to what I have...
Just thought I would pass it on to anyone that may have a old one stashed, guages work "OK" and I have made manometers using clear tubing and old oil..
But that Heavy Metal is so nice ... IMG_8023.jpg

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Make sure you wear gloves and eye protection, remove all jewelry, and work in a cold environment - mercury evaporates (slowly) at room temperatures and above, so I would work in a ventilated space. Also, look out for any particles floating on it, especially red-colored bits, as that can be explosive. Keep any vials out of direct sunlight, which is what forms those explosive bits. Mercury was the reason hatters went mad, BTW, so handle with care. If you do spill any, have some copper or brass wool handy to mop up those tiny balls of it that scatter everywhere.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do.. much appreciated information..

·
Registered
572 Posts
Keep it where no kids can find it. They like to play with it, and have no idea what it is or how toxic it can be.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Another source of mercury worth trying are clock repairers. Many of us repair barometers as well, and save the mercury from old tubes that we replace. We also use it in regulator pendulums.
After 30 years in the trade I've got loads of the stuff but I'm over the water. Flowers of sulphur recommended to absorb spillage.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Might be easier and safer to replace the mercury with another liquid. From what I have found https://www.quora.com/Can-any-fluid-replace-the-mercury-in-a-manometer

"Yup, any liquid can be used.

The reason why mercury used is because it has high density. Hence for same pressure difference, we need small column height compared to other liquids. As
P = density*g*height
In fact if you want to measure very small pressure variation with high accuracy, you should use a less denser fluid as it will give longer column deviation.
So basically, As far as you are using density value of the liquid used , any liquid will work in a manometer."

·
Registered
755 Posts
Just as an FYI, there is a guy in Oregon who still sells mercury sync tools -- a little google searching and you can find him. He also sells vials of mercury for replacement. I ordered some (in 2015), he shipped it to me in Boston, and it arrived no problem. I've since switched to a Morgan Carbtune and am happy with it.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
and to think we all played with a little mercury in elementary school... who knew it was quite so toxic then
We 'played' with it in high school science class. The year before, someone left a sealed test tube of it on the windowsill, out of sight, and we found it, full of a reddish compound. The teacher wouldn't touch it. We took it outside and gave it a good toss - BOOM! Same stuff that used to be in the firing caps for firearms. The good ole days! :D

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
No mercury for Me, I have enough toxic crap around here already. I've had a set of gauges for years, they work just find, no need to figure out a way to hang yards of hose up so things don't spill.

Reactions: WintrSol

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I like my set of matched dial gauges, but have since gotten an all electronic, 6-channel device. Very useful for the Valkyrie!

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I like my set of matched dial gauges, but have since gotten an all electronic, 6-channel device. Very useful for the Valkyrie!
Digisync?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Yep. Great tool.
Yep, I got one and keep my morgan as backup. It's great that it has a built in tach calculated from the engine pulses, MUCH more accurate.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Damn... totally forgot about the new digital setup. I remember looking at HVAC ones opposed to the digi sync (cost).. but it was designed for pressure / balance for the furnace stuff..
I may have to rethink this and give those switches to my buddy who is a EOD tech.. he uses them in traing devices.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Damn... totally forgot about the new digital setup. I remember looking at HVAC ones opposed to the digi sync (cost).. but it was designed for pressure / balance for the furnace stuff..
I may have to rethink this and give those switches to my buddy who is a EOD tech.. he uses them in traing devices.
I used to use an old tach/dwell meter for tach on the old bikes with the morgan tune, the digisync has it built in and works great.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow... sounds like a instuctional thread (hint-hint)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Read through this twice (although I am sitting in a bar) and I have no idea what it is you’re doing with the Mercury. FYI. I have a 73cb450 with gauges that work fair. Is that what you’re working on?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Read through this twice (although I am sitting in a bar) and I have no idea what it is you’re doing with the Mercury. FYI. I have a 73cb450 with gauges that work fair. Is that what you’re working on?
No, they are talking about a carb sync tool or gauge that contains mercury.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A while back a member here sent me a old 4 tube manometer.. it had just enough mercury to use it on a fuel carb set up... I don't have a 4 so it is no issue. I have heard mercury can be had if you know say.. a high school science teacher.. but some people may not have that luxuary..
Recently I was at a HVAC supply house to purchase filters.. and what to my wondering eyes did appear????
A box.. with the words "recycle your old thermostat".. MERCURY thermostat..
I spoke With the guy behind the counter, informed him of my need for that magical silver liquid... he said "take what you need".. I grabbed a couple and headed out giggling like a mad scientist ..
Gonna do some research before I crack these viles open and add to what I have...
Just thought I would pass it on to anyone that may have a old one stashed, guages work "OK" and I have made manometers using clear tubing and old oil..
But that Heavy Metal is so nice ... View attachment 277884

When I lived in San Diego, I had borrowed a gauge set from a friend and the mercury got sucked up from letting the throttle release to fast. I had a neighbor and my parents try to find me some to replace what was gone. I ended up getting a pound of the stuff for $62.50. when I move to east coast, I still had the pound. I tried to get rid of it, by fire department and police station in NC. No help from either. They have never heard of a pound of the stuff. So I move to NJ and finally had to get rid of it. I had gotten rid of my 76 Honda Goldwing European model. My wife had a old Volvo that was damaged, so I figured how to get rid of it. Let the engine suck it up. Which, I did. There went the 62.50 through the engine. I have some of the mercury switches in storage someplace. Going to have to get another vacuum gauge for my 78 CB400a Hondamatic.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts