Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there..

was wondering if there are sprockets out there (particularly the front, that could assist you to convert the bike to a smaller chain like a 420 or 428.

Obviously chain technology has come a long way since 1968, and the 530 size on our bike just seems like overkill, when bikes like the cbr 300 and baby ninja that put out more power are using smaller chains.

I saw a front sprocket a little time ago that was machined with a spacer in it so it bought the chain out from the side of the engine so it would line up like the original chain I'm guessing.

Has anyone done this conversion before?

I know people like capellini moto might do a kit, and their stuff is nice, don't get me wrong. But I can't afford much of their stuff, as much as I would like it.

I know people have done it in the past.

Kind Regards all,

Tom.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
520 chain is another option, machine the extra width off the existing sprockets and install the narrower chain.

Reactions: Alan F.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Now that is a good idea. I have a bunch of old sprockets, I might have to chuck one up in the trusty old Atlas and see how well they machine.
TOOLS

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Cycle-X kit looks like it would fit... but they only offer it in 46 at the rear and 17 or 19 at the front... if only we could find someone that would do it in sizes 350 people commonly use, like 16 x 38 and so on

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can find the 15T sunstar 520 sprockets on Ebay, but I can't find anything for the rear in 520.. Just trying to save us all some money here..

·
Registered
52 Posts
when I got my SL350 back on the road recently I had trouble finding appropriate 520 sprocket kits. bike shop had a new, old stock 14T for the front, which was the hard one to find because of the spline size, but couldn't find a rear to fit the hub. there were aluminium sprockets available in 520 with blank centres, you just need to get them machined to your specs. couple of days later the bike shop rang and said they had a 38T 530 sprocket to fit my hub, so I bought it and machined it down to 520 specs. fairly tuff stuff to turn but it machined ok with tungsten tips. had to machine the thickness off the inner face as well where the circlip seats, but it works well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts