Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I POR-15'd my tank but am now having trouble with it... it's a mess. The POR-15 seemed to go on fine, and everything but it happened to pool up around the crossover tubes. I didn't discover this problem until I had the bike out for a ride and some crud made it into the petcock. Ended up having to saw off the crossover tube a bit (leaving enough to still attach to) and poking the half-cured POR-15 out with a piece of wire.

Removed tank and rinsed w/ hot hot water sprayed from a hose about 15 times, vigorously shaking in between every rinse to remove what I figured would be the last of whatever junk was left behind. Went out for a ride to test it out feeling satisfied, ended up getting clogged 50 miles later, had to push the bike up my steep 300 yard gravel driveway. Fun stuff.

R side of tank looks good with a flashlight, must be some crud still stuck on the dark L side. Anyone have any recommendations? Should I try to clean it out again multiple times and test ride it until I get no clogs, or should I try to remove the POR-15 and do something else? New tank? Remove POR-15 and go w/ light rust? Not even sure if or how to remove the stuff...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured I'd ask around - that somebody must have had the same problem... Anyway I did contact the POR 15 people and their diagnosis of my problem was that it sounded like there is a bit too much tank liner for the smaller Honda tanks and that there was too much excess liner coating the tank. I tried to drain as much as possible, but some got pooled up around the crossover tubes and I guess never fully cured - when it mixes with liquid it becomes a sticky stringy film and does wonders to clog your tank.

Their recommendation was to dump fuel, remove tank, and to let it dry for as long as possible (2-3 days) to ensure if there's any uncured stuff to let it fully fully dry. I'm going to try this when I get back to my bike, hopefully that will do the trick.

They said if it still doesn't work, the POR 15 liner will need to be stripped, using the POR 15 Tank Stripper product. He mentioned that this is pretty much just methyl ethyl ketone. He also mentioned the company would be willing to reimburse the cost of re-doing the tank -- very nice.

Hope this info helps somebody.

-Brendan

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
I just used a POR-15 kit on my CL350 tank two weeks ago. I was surprised at how small the container of actual POR-15 paint in the kit was -- didn't look like enough. However, after I coated the entire inside of the tank, and started draining the excess back into the can, I believe I drained out at least enough to fill the original can over 1/2 full (maybe even 2/3 full). As I was doing the draining, I used a piece of plastic line from my weedwacker to make sure the small crossover tubes were staying open. I was able to keep draining excess for quite a while (maybe 30 minutes or so) and kept tilting the tank and working the liquid toward the petcock hole (petcock removed of course).

The directions in the POR-15 kit tell you to add a small amount of water to the can where you drained out the excess. This stuff cannot be reused once it has been exposed to any moisture, because it starts to cure. By the next morning, the entire can of excess POR-15 was as hard as a rock. It could then be pitched into the garbage can with no worries.

I let the tank cure for the recommended 92 hours (4 days), plus about another 8 more hours to be sure. I have been using the bike for a week now, and there have been no problems. I swear by that stuff now, and plan to use it again in another tank soon.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fxray, I was impressed overall with the POR-15 application as well, I was just a bit pressed for time and didn't end up draining enough of the excess. Same as you, I got back more than half a can of the paint, and by the end I was simply draining out a super super fine line of it from the petcock hole. Every other step of the prep process had gone off without a hitch, so I decided to just leave the tank slightly tilted (forward, so as to avoid any pooling of POR-15 material near the petcock hole), but I guess there was a bit too much left in there. I too waited 4 days before putting any gas in. From the looks of what I can see through the gas cap I had some material pooled towards the front. Most of it dried solid, but there was a bit of yellowish plastic foamy looking bubbles, sorta like what resulted when adding water to the leftover POR-15 can. I shaked and rinsed untold times with hot water but I can only guess what's lurking over on the other dark side of the tank. As for now, I just run in line filters and clean my petcock screen from the whitish/grayish/yellowish particles it tends to accumulate. I just hope it clears out through several fuel cycles. Also so far, it seems like the major problem I keep having with my bike running is fuel flow from residual POR-15. I can't wait until it all clears out of there!! I just hate dealing with fuel flow problems and getting gas all over the place all the time...

I recommend using POR-15, my tank looks basically like new inside, but you really do have to be super patient when draining the excess and make sure to clear out the fuel crossover tubes really well. Also, the folks at POR-15 were surprised at how small my CB350 tank was (around 2 or 2.5 gallons?). They said the POR-15 cycle tank repair kit was designed for tanks about double the size, so there really is a ton of excess material to drain off.

Good luck to anyone out there POR-15-ing your tank.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I've done two tanks with this stuff, and I love it. But as with many procedures in restoration, you need to BE PATIENT and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.

The two steps that presented me the biggest challenge were the last two steps: drying the tank before adding the POR-15 (you HAVE TO MAKE SURE THERE IS ZERO MOISTURE LEFT OVER), and making sure the POR-15 drained after fully coating the tank.

For drying the tank, I decided to put it in the oven at 250 for half an hour. :mrgreen: Worked great, except the kitchen stunk a bit afterward. It is amazing how much fuel smell comes out from a tank that you have just cleaned.

Draining the POR-15 after coating the tank was the most difficult step, and those crossover tubes were the biggest challenge--one of them kept getting clogged, so I had to go at it with a wire. In retrospect, I think I would have drained as much as I could from the tank, then put the tank upside down and used some compressed air to clean out the crossover tubes before letting it set.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I used a kbs product, same thing as por 15 I think.. drained out nearly half the can after sloshing it all over. it cured fine, did it in the winter so I waited for the gf to be out of town and let it cure in the living room flipping every 20-30 minutes for the first few hours. I baked the vht paint on my headers in the oven that week too.. using the screen in the petcocks for filtering I've had no issues. seems to be holding up fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead, but when draining would it be better to drain upside down, since any deposits would then dry above where smooth fuel delivery is essential?

The Caswell Tank Epoxy suggests drying upside down, and I am trying to decide between tank liners right now. Just want to get my questions out of the way early so I don't have to try and post in a panic with wet tank sealer on my hands later... ha.

-Cody

1 - 9 of 9 Posts