Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I'm having the worse time with my points (73 CB350 twin). I set them just perfect and in 2 weeks of riding they get less than perfect and need adjustment. I spuddered home on one cylinder for about 2 miles.

I just ordered bore-tech e-ignition coming in the mail tomorrow.

So I thought I would change the oil since new ignition is coming. When I did, the oil was quite "unviscous" Actually ran out of there almost like water, had slight gas smell to it.

I put in new oil now and is normal viscosity.

Here's the question---- If points go out of whack, and I get no spark out of one side, since the gas won't fire on that side, does the gas fill up the engine? Is that why I had the gas smell in the oil change? And if so, did the gas cause any damage?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Usually when one side stops firing the gas is blown out the exhaust,although some washes the cyl walls so it isn't good to go too far. Sounds like a float is sticking or too high. On the dry cylinder remove the plug and put a level teaspoon of oil in. Wait 5 min. then roll over to re-oil the cyl wall. Good practice is to turn off petcock when not running just in case a float doesn't seat and fills the case because of park angle or plugged carb vent.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The amount of damage is dependant on how long/far it ran..... FIVE minutes of running with fuel-thinned oil can result in signifigant damage.....Physical inspection/measuring of the parts is the ONLY sure way to check..... A peek in through the tappet covers should tell if you need to disassemble further......

A small amount of wear (from lack of lubriction) within the cam journal can cause the 'timing" shift you discribe....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sounds like you might have a electrical drain somewhere also, these bike will run on low battery voltage but tend to lean to one cyclinder or the other. Always make sure you battery is fully charged and then check voltage while its running, it should be 13.6 at 4000 rpm with the headlight off. If not check all the connectors clean or replace if corroded. Then check and more often than not replace the rectifier. I have found that the rectifier is the root of most charging problems on these old twins.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot guys. E-ignition came in the mail, just installed, took about 20 minutes, not too shabby. Fired right up, idle is great, engine is strong.

Well actually idle is too good. Idles at 3500 rpm. No change with carb screws. Manual says i can adjust idle timing, i imagine that isn't the same type of idle i'm used to adjusting. It supposed to advance or retard TF or F. How else can idle be adjusted with e-ignition?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts