Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all hope you are all staying safe. Seeing that South Africa has a 21 day nationwide lockdown I have some time at home and decided to polish my cm400t front shock tubes. Started to sand with 320 grit water sandpaper and work it up to 1200 grid. Final polish with Grasso and a cloth. No power tools was used so a lot of elbow grease. One side done need to start on left side Monday. Attached some pics.
Stay Safe

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
That looks great but I've got to warn you that polishing aluminum parts on a bike can be habit forming. (y)

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I polished all the outer covers on my 450 engine as well as the fork legs and brake backing plates, and left them just as they were, no clear. Three years later they still look great. If you polish the surface enough, it helps close the pores of the aluminum and it doesn't corrode as easily (unless you leave it out in the weather)

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
After they are polished, do you need to add a clear coat to keep the shine?
Some have and eventually the clearcoat will yellow and need to be removed to repolish.
Some have just polished and left it at that, the patina that will set in has it's own appeal, OR just give it a quick touch up whenever it's not shiny enough.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've just ordered various grades of Wet and Dry paper.
I am a little bit away from starting but I am trying to get evey thing together.
I like shiny.
These are the inside of my exhuast on my CAR...😎

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I polished all the outer covers on my 450 engine as well as the fork legs and brake backing plates, and left them just as they were, no clear. Three years later they still look great. If you polish the surface enough, it helps close the pores of the aluminum and it doesn't corrode as easily (unless you leave it out in the weather)
View attachment 306250
View attachment 306251
Wow looks great!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
View attachment 306250
View attachment 306251
I have started with the one side of the engine not a mirror finish yet but I will get there took a lot of time and elbow grease to get the scratches out of the aluminium side covers.This is a work in progress

·
Registered
36 Posts
Love polished stuff because it’s hard work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts