Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
ive done a search but not found exactly what I’m looking for: what is the max temperature possible under running conditions, in the points cavity?

it seems the heat at the spark plug runs around 255 degF but I don’t know conditions from there. Whether cold, normal, or, hot day, it matters. Note oil temp isn’t what I’m after.

has anyone measured that? And, what were the conditions?

Ideally, I’m looking for worst case, I.e. Mojave desert in July/August after a hard run.

thanks for your help!
J

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
looks like i'll have to instrument my bike to find out. I live in New England where it's generally cooler than the Mojave, so getting high temps will be to establish curves with several OAT's days and project from there.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Got to admit I'm curious, but I can't figure out what I would do with the information if I had it.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Max temperature is whatever it takes to trash the camshaft seal behind the points.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I never considered it, actually.
The points will get as hot as the cam bearing they sit in basically.
I suppose you could attach a thermocouple there and actually measure.
I know the points get pretty freakin' hot, from brutal experience.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All, my purpose is to attach some discrete electronics under that cover and I just need a max temp. as I noted above, i'll instrument mine and record temps over several temp days. I have the thermocouples now just waiting for spring and some decent riding weather.

thanks for considering!
J

·
Registered
539 Posts
I've melted my points and trashed the cam seal - young user error - but I didn't measure the temp. I can tell you, tho, replace the points and the seal and away you go again.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Make sure those components are automotive or military grade; common commercial grade will likely fail. If you don't know, automotive is 125C, mil is 155C, but commercial is only 85C.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went 10 hrs or more in 30+ C last year and it ran fine.
Yikes^2! how did you fare? I too have made high speed runs across the desert and while severely sun and wind burned, came out ok.

I can find components rated at 150°C / 255°F which, I think, will serve my purpose. Am considering adding a thermistor too for troubleshooting forensics...or maybe low tech = thermal paint dots (that change color at a specific temp).

still waiting for spring.
J

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Yikes^2! how did you fare? I too have made high speed runs across the desert and while severely sun and wind burned, came out ok.
I guess it's all in what you are accustomed to; 30C (86F) isn't hot in St. Louis. Now 36+C (97+F) is getting there.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
ahh haaa! I asked a similar question a few seasons ago when the east coast had that big heat wave. I noted my 450 was a little sluggish during my normal runs but no smoke indicating overheating. I asked a general question of forum buddies in the west coast or southwest to chime in and share experiences running their rides in extreme heat...an AZ owner said it wasn't an issue. I can tell you, every season like clockwork in April my bike hesitates due to some leftover, biting NY weather during my early am rides. So...I don't start my season until May. Remind me...hotter weather run Rotella as opposed to 20 50 Honda oil? I have run both but have switched to Rotella for the past few years but change it every 800 miles as opposed to the recommended 1,000mi intervals.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m going to measure oil temp too, so when that stabilizes, I’ll take head T at the spark plug and the two points plate screws, with ambient T. I think I can draw / extrapolate a curve that’s useable.

And yes, at 100F, there’s a hot day. I don’t use Celsius, erm, at all, so missed the mark in my comment. My past desert run was @ 115F. The story I’m sticking with is that was temp, not speed, ha!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts