Honda Twins banner

Points Ignition Test light Wont turn on

861 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  doode 
#1 ·
Hello, I just picked up a 1975 CB550 and am new to this forum. When i purchased the bike, the bike ran however with some ticking and clanking coming from the engine. So i went through and did the Valve Clearance, Cam belt Tensioner, checked Ignition coils, spark plug gap. Everything was fine until i was going to check the timing on the Bike. So i went ahead and hooked up my test light to Ground and the Points screw Nut. turned Ignition "on" and started to turn the engine, and the test light never comes on... I removed the condensers and checked if they were shorted, looked at the wiring harness if there was a break in the wires, Closed the Gap on the points to make sure they were touching. Light does turn on. What i did find is that everything seems to be grounded,, no mater where i touch with my multi meter on the points and ground there is continuity. Should my ignition coils be unplugged when performing this test light timing check? Also, bike ran like this before so i am just a little confused. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks : )

#4 ·
Thanks To 66sprint i was able to square this out. It ended up being that the Test light wasent coming on because my Kill switch was on.....figures. However, a better way to set the timing on the bike is to connect the test light to the positive side of the battery and the Yellow wire going to the ignition Coils for 2-3 and then to the Blue wire for 1-4. This way the yellow and blue wires are disconnected from the coils and the light should turn off when your lines marks are lined up. This way you arent Burning up your coils by turning on the ignition and leaving it on. Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.