Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a points assembly for my Black Bomber. I've been told any year CB450 will fit (maybe someone can advise on that assertion).
Anyone have one to let go of I'd sure appreciate it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
RicH2 said:
I need a points assembly for my Black Bomber. I've been told any year CB450 will fit (maybe someone can advise on that assertion).
Anyone have one to let go of I'd sure appreciate it.
do you need the points #'s 3/4 or the back plate #2 or the advancer unit #13?

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well...I'd take everything I can get. The bike I have had a newtronics electronic iggy installed. I have to go back to the points system.

I wouldn't mind having everything from your diagram - but I for sure need everything BUT #13 & #14

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
What's wrong with your Newtronics system??

GB :mrgreen:

Maybe nothing. I may simply be too stewpid to figure it out :roll: . But the battery is not being charged.

Go here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2148

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
The Newtronics IGNITION has NOTHING to do with charging the battery (discharging it maybe, but not wether or not it charges)... What is the measured VAC output of the alternator at 2000 RPM?....... At 6000 RPM?

·
Registered
101 Posts
trade you my new points for the newtronic if you really want to get rid of it. :D

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
66Sprint said:
The Newtronics IGNITION has NOTHING to do with charging the battery (discharging it maybe, but not wether or not it charges)... What is the measured VAC output of the alternator at 2000 RPM?....... At 6000 RPM?
Standby...I'll have to make the measurements this weekend (family stuff in the way at the moment !).

For your reading pleasure a buddy of mine made these measurements.....

I disconnected the red/white wire that runs from the rectifier to the battery. This wire carries all of the charging system output current. I inserted the ammeter and measured the charge system output to battery. Just over 2 amps at 2000 rpm – increasing a bit as the revs went up. This value agrees with expected per your manual. Then we turned the ignition switch to position 2, bringing in the lighting coil. Now, charge system output was about 5 amps, increasing a bit with more revs. Again, this agrees with expected per your manual.

Then we turned off the engine and inserted the ammeter between the battery and its red wire (with the charging system – red/white wire - still disconnected). This wire now carries all current from the battery to the bike. With the Neutronics box disconnected (12v and coil leads) I measured no current – neutral lamp was not working). Then, with Neutronics connected I measured about 2.5 amps. We started the engine and measured about the same – 2.5 amps.

Since the 2.5 amp neutronics draw is greater than the 2.0 amp charging system output, the battery discharges about 0.5 amps whenever the bike is running. I also reconnected the red/white wire and confirmed the math – about 0.5 amp battery discharge when running. I did not investigate the lighting system draw.

Lastly, I measured the battery voltage (which was barely charged). 11.8 volts open circuit. 9 volts with ignition (Neutronics) on. About 10 – 11 volts running, varying with the revs.

Subsequently, I measured the Neutronics box draw on its 12v lead (coils disconnected). About 0.2 amps which agrees with the 180ma that the distributor gave you as normal. Obviously, this was without the engine running.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Ok...First, All your measurements should have been made using a fully charged battery.
Secondly, IF you jumper the wires that the light switch usually connects when on, you'll have the 5 amp charging rate continuously... Plenty enough to cover that measly .5 amp addidion from the Newtronics.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts