Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to remedy my CL360’s racing idle. One consideration is whether my points advancer (spark advancer) is worn out or malfunctioning. What should I be looking for when I inspect? When I pulled off the points plate, it appeared dry with a tiny bit of surface rust. Does it need some kind of lube? Springs still have some life in them although they don’t feel super snappy. Maybe they’re too stretched out? Took a few photos but I’m not sure if they will tell you much. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
If they snap back shut when you pull them apart they should be fine for now, I like litiium grease or FWIW chain lube. Don't put gobs on just enough to make the cam rotate nicely, other wise it will fling it all over the inside of that housing and all over the points.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, will do. Sounds like I can check that off the list of possible problems.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had your same issue and tried legit everything to fix it. Cleaned, lubed, tightened springs. Then I bought a NOS unit from David silver spares. Comparing the old to new was night and day with even only 8k miles on the bike. One felt like it was just tossed together and the new felt like precision engineering compared to it. The PO must’ve never checked or lubed it because it was worn out and even the springs didn’t behave. I would just buy a new one for around $100

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
I’m trying to remedy my CL360’s racing idle. One consideration is whether my points advancer (spark advancer) is worn out or malfunctioning. What should I be looking for when I inspect? When I pulled off the points plate, it appeared dry with a tiny bit of surface rust. Does it need some kind of lube? Springs still have some life in them although they don’t feel super snappy. Maybe they’re too stretched out? Took a few photos but I’m not sure if they will tell you much. Thanks!
IIRC, that advance unit is for a SL350 K1 (by 312 code stamped on it)...
The 360 part should be stamped 369 ?...(again, IIRC)
Can someone with a CL360 verify the number on their advance please.....
I researched and 312 is a valid/correct part number for the 1974 CB360 G model, so should work...

Reactions: Spino
1 - 5 of 5 Posts