Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
day two of my 1974 cb200 project. got the valves adjusted yesterday. my new points came today, and i just put them on. have a question about that though. i set the point gap (to about .014 in) and then the timing (points just opening at the F mark--using a test light). problem is, on one turn of the engine, the points open right at the F mark, but on the next revolution, they open a hair before F. is there a reason that might be happening?

also, i had a leaky gasket on the left crankcase cover. the engine is drained of oil, but even the residual oil is making a drip through the bottom of that gasket. so, while i had some things apart, i put on a new gasket. i sprayed both sides with gasket sealer, cleaned off the crankcase cover and the place where it meets the engine (both of these surfaces seem to have small scratches in them, and even with gasket remover spray i couldn't get a couple scuff marks from an old gasket off the engine surface). i replaced all the bolts and tightened them with an impact driver (just pushing it full force with my hands--no hammering). the oil is making it's way through this gasket, too. should i tighten those bolts more? is this just because of the scrapes and old gasket scuffs? is there anything else i can do (short of welding the casing to the engine!)??

thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
some of those gaskets are NOT gasket. they are " Honda Bond" rtv. check with your local dealer to see if its a paper gskt or the Honda Bond needed there.

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
do not overtighten the side cases or your will crack them. the torque spec on them is low...only about 4 ftlbs or so (check your manual to verify) a good screwdriver nice and tight is all you need...not impact driver at all.

use a utility razor blade to scrape off ALL the old gasket. coat the gasket with copper gasket spray and any place you have a large gouge use permatex gasket sealer or equivalent (hondabond, yamabond, etc) but don't use too much or it will ooze out on the inside and may clog an oil passage

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.