Honda Twins banner

Point Wiring Confusion

944 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  black350 
#1 ·
I was going to set the point timing today when I noticed something odd. The left point is connected to a yellow wire and the right point is connected to a blue wire. In every diagram I've seen of the ignition coils it's just the opposite - the left coil connects with a blue wire and the right coil collects to a yellow wire. But I had blue wires connecting and yellow wires connecting, under the idea that yellow was for the right cylinder and blue was for the left.

So until now my wiring has been as follows:

left side point -> 1 into 2 connector -> condenser & and right coil -> spark plug into right cylinder. (This is yellow wiring throughout.)
right side point - > 1 into 2 connector -> condenser and left coil -> spark plug into left cylinder. (Blue wiring throughout.)

I've been referencing common motor's video on ignition timing and he refers to the left point for timing the left cylinder, and right to right. I'm wondering if my mistake is having the spark plug wires go from the coils straight down to the cylinder on the same side. Then I could just switch the spark plug wires. I can't imagine I'm supposed to connect different colors.

I'm also wondering if I damaged the coils having them wired like this. I had the key turned on for a little while today and noticed the coils were warm. I hadn't tried to start the ignition or anything, just had it keyed on with the kill switch on run. But I have run the electric start quite a bit over the past few days with this wiring configuration.

Thanks as always for any help. This forum has been an enormous help throughout this project.

See less See more
#2 ·
As long as the cylinder is on TDC, compression stroke, when the points wired to that side are opening the engine will run fine. Check for TDC compression stroke by checking for movement in the rockers(valves both closed). If you need to leave the key on, while working on the lights or whatever, slip a piece of paper between the points and the coils will stay cool.

Reactions: black350
#3 ·
I think I figured out the confusion. I did all the wiring for this bike and mostly referred to this diagram from dotheton:

Line Plan Floor plan Electronics Diagram

I took the position of the spark plugs in Honda's diagram to correlate to the position of the points (left, right) but after looking at it now I realized that I should be looking at it from the orientation of the wiring harness, the front on the left and the rear on the right, which designates the coils to be yellow wiring on the left and blue on the right:

Technical drawing Plan Drawing Diagram Parallel

Perhaps this is why I was having trouble getting the bike started :D the points were set to fire the plugs at the exact opposite time they should.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.