Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped off the top end to the local machine shop for reboring and cleanup. They'll be back in a week or two. In the meantime I'm going to tackle the carbs, which have been sitting for 5 years. I stripped the carbs and the parts are soaking in carb cleaner. I have new carb rebuild kits.

The bike didn't come with air boxes or covers. I'm thinking of running pod filters (Emgo or K&N) I suspect rejetting is necessary. What are the pros/cons of running pods?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I don't have much experience with "pods" - but I do with the Uni sock-type filters, which work well and generally require no changes at all on a 450.....

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
The folks over on the xjbikes (Yamaha) forum have discussed (and cussed) this subject at length. While there may not be a concensus the verifiable experts seem to pretty much dislike the Pods as it makes their bikes tough to tune. Of course in my limited experience with the XJ it's plenty tough to keep them tuned anyway. Some claim they can remove/reinstall their carbs blindfolded and that's no easy task!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
J-T said:
The folks over on the xjbikes (Yamaha) forum have discussed (and cussed) this subject at length. While there may not be a concensus the verifiable experts seem to pretty much dislike the Pods as it makes their bikes tough to tune. Of course in my limited experience with the XJ it's plenty tough to keep them tuned anyway. Some claim they can remove/reinstall their carbs blindfolded and that's no easy task!

That's true, I've read all that. Carbs that have a cable-pulls-up the slide design can be problematic with either intake or exhaust changes.

But 450 carbs are particularly forgiving of intake changes (within reason), just due to their design and nature.

The Unis are the same as for 350, you see them advertised that way - NU 4001, order some filter oil with them.
They weigh almost nothing, look like this on the bike - no clearance problems with either side cover/battery for me on 450's......

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Don't forget that Uni makes those exact same filters with a 15 degree twist at the rubber flange end that allows you to rotate into a position that works best for your application/modifications... That's what I picked up for my 450 project and when mocking it all up they fit very well..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got a pic of what they look like mounted on the bike?

Bird76Mojo said:
Don't forget that Uni makes those exact same filters with a 15 degree twist at the rubber flange end that allows you to rotate into a position that works best for your application/modifications... That's what I picked up for my 450 project and when mocking it all up they fit very well..

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Nope I sure don't. Sorry.. The only pictures I have of the setup with those filters and the Mikuni carbs I'm using, the side covers are installed so you can't see the filters really..

Essentially they're gonna look just like Bills picture posted above..

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Bill, the angled ones I was talking about wouldn't be a problem on a 450.. It's only 15 degrees. It just allows you to turn them a fine amount when fitting them. They're virtually the same ones that you used really.... You can just "fine tune" their position a little better, at least in my application, which is slightly different..

In most applications the straight set would probably work the best for most people...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts