Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! It's been years...
I put some K&N pod filters on the putter and she hates them. Anything over 1/2 throttle under load and she bogs down. Spark Plugs are black but I'm already down to a 130 main jet... Messed with the air screw in and out but no change. Should I try to find some smaller jets (125-120?) and where would I find them? Or does anyone have a better idea? She runs like a champ with no air filters.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Honestly you're gonna be having a hell of a time trying to get the CB450 to run with pods. They just don't work very well with the stock CV carbs at all.
If you still have the stock air filters, I would just put those back on and leave it at that.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
One of the issues with most pods is they block the air stream from directly hitting the air jets on the edge of the intakes. The stock filter's connecting tube is shaped like a velocity stack, and delivers fairly smooth air flow to the whole diameter of the intake, including the air jets.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting @WintrSol...
This may sound crazy, but... I'm fabricating a funnel from the gap between the frame and the front of the tank on both sides with a tube to deliver 'cold forced' air directly into the end of the pods while I'm moving...
Ordered the stacks incase my science experiment fails as usual. :D

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I'm a new 450 owner and have k&n pods and the bike seems to run okay. I've only taken it on a couple rides, a lot of lane splitting so speeds around 40mph with brief stretches of 60mph.
I've also had decent luck with uni pods on my 350. Currently running uni foam air box with good results.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Interesting @WintrSol...
This may sound crazy, but... I'm fabricating a funnel from the gap between the frame and the front of the tank on both sides with a tube to deliver 'cold forced' air directly into the end of the pods while I'm moving...
Ordered the stacks incase my science experiment fails as usual. :D
If the step on the inside of the pod boot, where it fits to the carb, is too thick, it will divert the air from flowing into the air jets, even though it doesn't directly block them. One way to tell is to measure from the outside of the carb to the center of the air jet, and compare that to the size of the step inside the pod boot. If you look at the boot from the stock filter, you will see its step is minimal, just enough to make contact with the carb's lip. I would expect well-made stacks to be the same, with just enough of a step to stop on the lip of the carb.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I don't know jetting, but will wander out and check in the next day or so.
I'm in LA, so same elevation as you.
Pilot screw 1 full turn out, but that won't affect 1/2 throttle+
I'll also check the plugs. They looked alright before I rode it Friday.
I'm using k&n pod filters. Different than the emgo style in your photo. They don't block the air holes like mentioned above.
Can you describe your running issues more?
Maybe they're coil related or you've got a punctured diaphragm?

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
doode: Ya the picture was before I installed the K&N's. Just wanted to illustrate why I don't want to install the original filters.
WintrSol: I'll check to make sure the 'step' doesn't block the air tubes.
Found out my coils are cracked and warm. New ones on order from Mike's SX650. Also going to order the latest version of PamcoPetes ignition.
Thanks for all the help... Would love to see a picture of your set-up if it's not too much trouble.
Cheers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts