Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So maybe I should have posted this in other bikes, but sure you guys will put up with my impudence. You always come across as a nice bunch of guys n gals.
Got another 1980 bike, this time it's a trail bike with big plastic bumper on the front. I hope pictures are working!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The mudguard is covered in some thick paint and its flaking. Also, one of the two fins at the very front of the bumper/mudguard/fender is distorted. So my question is, what methods have you guys used to straighten bent plastic? It needs heat, boiling water, hot air gun etc, but has someone actually tried and been successful and "tweeking" the plastic back to shape? Any ideas? I assume these are made from ABS?
Also, best way to remove the crap paint?

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Brake fluid, it eats paint and doesn't bother most plastic.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I tried the brake fluid on the paint, didn't budge it. I've scraped the convex curves on mainly on the outside, but haven't touched the inside concave curves yet, might need to make a curved scraper. Any ideas out there?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I assume there would be a similar product in the UK as well.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
One thing you could try is using a media blaster to remove the paint. I bet that would work as well.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
One thing you could try is using a media blaster to remove the paint. I bet that would work as well.
Need to be careful with that also, media can generate heat and melt plastic.

Reactions: 76TWIN

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Planning to paint parts this weekend, so I just scraped the paint off. 6 hours, a radio, 3 cups of tea and -2 outside the garage. Scraping left marks but the fender/mudguard was already scored. Finished off with abrasive pad and it is 10 times better than before I got the crap off. Planning spraying it, plastic primer first?
I'll post a finished pic.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
use a primer that is sandable to smooth out the scrapes and scratches.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts